Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

glad to see i'm not the only one who has had issues i only have 35 hours on my first boat and my only other experience was my cousins i/o so it was a huge adjustment to me to get use to. everytime i pull up to a dock i get a little nervous. started to get the hang of it better towards the end of summer gonna be like starting over now this year. thanks for all the great advise.

Here's a training technique that was shown to me years ago and that i've used helping others. Anchor two buoys in a location where you'll be fairly undisturbed for awhile. Space them apart slightly wider than the length of your boat. Pretend it's the dock and nose up to but don't hit the lead buoy and swing in between them without hitting either. Do it in calm, windy and choppy conditions and when you can master this you'll have no issues at the dock at all. Add two more to form an X and back in and out of them to master obstacles. It's a great training aid and fun as well without worry of damage.

Anybody can and will eventually get the trailer loading but docking takes practice and can get you out of all kinds of situations.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Keep a knife on board when you do this.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Keep a knife on board when you do this.
    Ya know it's funny that i never thought of that or had an issue with it either! Hmmm ... can't figure that one out. Wait, oh yea I should have quantified that with use twine to anchor the buoy, may bad ... forgot that part
    2007 Mobius LSV

Well guess I passed the test today; South wind 20mph with 30mph gusts on a lake that runs basically north/south and ramp on the east shore. I backed the trailer mostly down the ramp and let the wifely unit put it the rest of the way in. Managed to pick her up at the dock and had a great day on the lake- 74 degrees in Indiana in March is a treat! Had to do the "dock the boat, go get the trailer, back trailer in, go get the boat, and load 'er on" thing but man in that crosswind it was a challenge. Managed to get the nose between the post and still love the self righting trailer!

Above all else- FELT GREAT TO BE OUT!!!
    Last edited by skiyaker; 03-31-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: content
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Congrats! Glad you got the chance. Gotta love the guide poles and trailer bunks. Just put it between there an it'll straighten you right out. Power on and forget winching. I love it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!