Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New stereo - help me decide

Ok, I have a 2007 LSV and I am upgrading my head unit. I need some help deciding on which head unit from you fellas that know more about radios then I do.
    I am going with the Kenwood simply cause it has the wired remote the KCA-RC107

THe choice is between Kenwood KMR-700U http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+KMR-700U.html

or
    Kenwood KMR-440u http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+KMR-440U.html
    cant find many reviews on either throughout the net
    I have seen the pics of the KMR 700u on this site but can someone tell me which is the better of the two - there is about $60 difference... and both seem to be about the same..
    Love some imput so I can order.
    thanks fellas

Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    I don't have any experience with the 440u but just installed a 700u with the remote on the drivers side. Very nice unit. Very user friendly, easy to read, can do about everything with the remote you can do with the deck.
    It def gets my vote.
    The only downside is that its a little tight in the glovebox with the front access panel.
    u have some pics installed?
    2007 Outback V

I was toying with the idea of a nice Alpine headunit with Alpine remotes, however, David at Earmark Marine said that with the right EQ/pre-amp and tuning the stock headunit is fine and basically just an interface for the ipod

kenwood 700u looks cool, I do like the alpine pdx100 ipod control. but for the money the kenwood kdc x493 or x494 is a pretty good bargin with good ipod interface and three 4v pre-outs.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

did the 700u and love it. kind of a stretch losing the cd capability for those of us that grew up on that media, but it is a snap to use and has more than enough adjustability for any system, and 4volt outputs

it will get my vote until something new comes out to replace it....

keep in mind tho that the kenwood 700u is NOT compatible with any of the old wired remotes. you must order the one that is specific to it, contrary to what anyone else may tell you. the plugs were completely different between the remote for my 400 and the 700u remote, so if you have existing wired remotes, they must be replaced.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    did the 700u and love it. kind of a stretch losing the cd capability for those of us that grew up on that media, but it is a snap to use and has more than enough adjustability for any system, and 4volt outputs

it will get my vote until something new comes out to replace it....

keep in mind tho that the kenwood 700u is NOT compatible with any of the old wired remotes. you must order the one that is specific to it, contrary to what anyone else may tell you. the plugs were completely different between the remote for my 400 and the 700u remote, so if you have existing wired remotes, they must be replaced.
    ahhh that sucks cause the remotes are like 100 buck each right?

I may end up getting a eq and keeping the stock radio then
    2007 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    I was toying with the idea of a nice Alpine headunit with Alpine remotes, however, David at Earmark Marine said that with the right EQ/pre-amp and tuning the stock headunit is fine and basically just an interface for the ipod
    did david recommend any Eq's specifically?
    2007 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    Most EQ's have an Aux input you can use for an Ipod, thats how I run mine. Last year I didnt even run a deck in my boat. This year I decided to put another deck in so I can listen to CD's just incase I forget my Ipod, happend a couple times last year.
    06 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by c.rix View Post
    did david recommend any Eq's specifically?
    This is what is on there site. most peeps have the clarion or the wetsounds on the BB. Clarion can be had for cheap on ebay, WS is pretty much a fixed price. depends on the type of control you want, fader or two section( tower/boat) volume and eq controls

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/home.php?cat=269
    Last edited by jmvotto; 03-30-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

if all you are looking for is ipod controls, most of them offer an ipod adapter that you can add in. the factory kenwood 400 has a black box that I belive runs around $100 that allows you to add an ipod to the aux input on the back instead of a cd changer or satellite radio. your ipod controls are somewhat limited with that, but it works. that's the big advantage to swapping out to the 700u. it's ipod controls are supposed to be awesome. I have only used mine with a usb drive, but it had no issues navigating multiple files on one drive.

the $100 cost per remote does suck, but I found the level of control from both the remote and the deck features are well worth the few extra $$ over just upgrading the deck..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten