Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ProMariner battery charger can't handle VSR?

Hopefully one of the experts around here can help me out. I bought a ProMariner dual bank charger so I could a.) recharge the batteries fully after a day on the water and b.) maintain the batteries (float) during winter storage. However it doesn't like the way my batteries are configured and won't charge.

After several discussions with ProMariner support they told me this type of charger isn't compatible with voltage sensing relays (VSR). Is that really true or does it just take a little more creative wiring?

The 4/4 is what I have: link

Honestly can't say, i've never seen the need for one so i have no experience with them. Try calling the VSR mfgr and see what they say, can't be the first time this has come up.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Honestly can't say, i've never seen the need for one so i have no experience with them. ...
    Since you're in Cali I can understand not needing to maintain over winter. After a day of stereo abuse in the cove I don't ever run the engine long enough to fully charge the accessory battery. The alternator will eventually get it done but I like to start the next day with a full charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    ... Try calling the VSR mfgr and see what they say, can't be the first time this has come up.
    Good idea, will do. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Since you're in Cali I can understand not needing to maintain over winter. After a day of stereo abuse in the cove I don't ever run the engine long enough to fully charge the accessory battery. The alternator will eventually get it done but I like to start the next day with a
    Actually i do maintain over the winter, where i live it's not all sunshine trust me! Even now it's was 43 degrees this morning. I use auto-sensing battery tenders which are on my batts all winter. We float for an hour or two then board, surf or tube for awhile and repeat. Never have i drained a battery yet.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Call David at Earmark Marine and he'll tell you what you need.

Brian,

It does take an extra component or two for those two items to coincide and function properly. Its something we outline in advance with every ACR/VSR and charger combo we send out. The topolgy of my circuit supports the SurePower combiner/separator. I would need to know which items you have and whether its a non-fishing-boat or other type, brand and model of ACR. Shoot me an email with the details and I'll get you a solution for your particular device.

I'm a major advocate for combiner/separators but these are generally misunderstood including where all the dominos fall. There's a ton of misinformation on the net including that generated by the manufacturers.

David
    Earmark Marine

David, Are there any onboard chargers out there that would support my AGM's and surepower? Or do you suggest the upgrade mentioned earlier?
    I've got everything just about set up and the charger is the last thing to buy.

PWI as usual...

Newty,

Send me an email of exactly what you pieced together and we'll get you the right charger and parts to head off any issues in advance.

David

Message sent. Thanks David!

PWI as usual...

Just wanted to mention that David at Earmark was very helpful and had some great ideas on how to make it work. I'll post back with the specifics once it's complete.

I'll also add that if you feel the need to deal with BEP technical support for any reason you'd probably get a better answer from your mom.