Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Water Strainer/Filter

I was thinking and wanted to get some feed back.

I have a water strainer on the intake of my manifold for the GIII system, im planning on going 2 Rule 1800 pumps and hook one to each side of the Irritol pumps and manifolds.

Problem: I don't want to buy a second strainer, I was thinking i would take the strainer off my ballast system and plumb it to the Engine intake that way it has a strainer on it. I see this as a more important option as i would rather filter my engine intake to keep debris out of my impeller.

I don't exactly want stuff in my ballast system eighter but i can replace those valves and such a lot easier then my engine. On a side not i generally only run on lakes 60 to 200ft deep and most are all fresh clean water, very little weeds or debris normally.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

The only issue I have had with stuff in the ballast is that I sucked a small stick through the system and burned up an evac pump. Only killed 1 in 5 years and I still do not have a strainer.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Had a strainer on the ballast system for the 1st year, when I pulled it off there was nothing in it, and we have shallow lakes 5-15 maybe 20' deep in spots
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Yeah i can't figure why they'd put one on the ballast but not the raw water intake.

Mike the problem i see is the diameter of the raw water intake which is 1 1/4" i think? If so isn't the ballast strainer smaller? If so you'd have a water restriction and potential heating issues.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I second what Razz said, Mike. I am putting a fresh water strainer on the water intake first thing this year, once I get the boat out of storage. I purchased the fresh water strainer from skidim, and it's a LOT bigger than the one for the ballast system. It's bigger for good and obvious reasons though - namely the amount of water you'll be pulling thru it.

I'd say just drop the strainer on the ballast, and invest in a strainer on your fresh water intake. I think you hit it right, it's cheap insurance on keeping debris out of the eingine, and especially out of the transmission cooler. That's where I found some stuff this year, and figured a fresh water strainer was cheap insurance.

I'm like you though, run in deeper water, and it's usually super clean. I think the gunk that was in the tranny cooler was from the previous owner down in OK, but, you never know. Found a piece of the impellar too, so, I guess there's another bonus!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Just for the record it seem that Skidim has the best prices period on the strainer, i'll be ordering one from them. Shoulda done it when i ordered an impleller last week ... DOH!
    2007 Mobius LSV

On my setup there was a screen in the inlet of the transmission cooler, I am guessing it exist on newer systems too. Make sure it is clean and you know you are good from the start with the new strainer. There was trash in mine. I got all the parts from skdim also for the install....easy project.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

I thought my 08 XLV had a water strainer for the engine? I know I saw two water strainers in the v-drive access and one was on the ballast.

mcdye,

they were putting a strainer (althought a crude one) on the tranny coolers way back in the 70's (we had a 1975 MasterCraft). I found out when we smoked the motor (warped the heads) and found out it was clogged with weeds. The problem with that one is you don't know because you can't see it. We ordered our LS with the factory strainer and it is right there where the whole world can see it and it can be easily cleaned. Now that being said, we have been really surprised that we didn't ruin the old Master Craft engine earlier as much stuff as we get out of our lake! It is cleaned everyday before we leave the dock!

If you do replace valves I've had great luck with www.sprinklerwarehouse.com