Default Bow ballast bags

I have not taken a tape measure to by boat, but does anyone know if the 10x16x70 fly high bags would fit under the bow seats? Anyone tried this?

I'm very interested in the answer to this. If it would fit, I would be all over it!

I'll try and get out to the boat when I get home and messure for you.
    06 Outback V

Are you talking about the 16x10x62 bags? I was thinking of putting them under the bow of my 2001 Outback DD, and according to my measurements, they will fit. However, they will extend all the way to the bulkhead in under the helm, and almost to the rear of the storage compartment behind the observer seat. They obviously won't fill up all the way, and will be quite scrunched at the bow, but they will work. The only reason I didn't do it this year is that my sub enclosure is under the helm and I would have to relocate that. Those W704 sacs are listed at about 370# and I bet you could get close to 300# in one of them. I actually have one of those sacs at home that I am putting in the rear locker. I will stuff it under the bow seat and fill it with air and take some photos if you guys would like?

Some photos would be great! If it fits without taking up all the storage space I would like to try it.

Thanks

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    Are you talking about the 16x10x62 bags? I was thinking of putting them under the bow of my 2001 Outback DD, and according to my measurements, they will fit. However, they will extend all the way to the bulkhead in under the helm, and almost to the rear of the storage compartment behind the observer seat. They obviously won't fill up all the way, and will be quite scrunched at the bow, but they will work. The only reason I didn't do it this year is that my sub enclosure is under the helm and I would have to relocate that. Those W704 sacs are listed at about 370# and I bet you could get close to 300# in one of them. I actually have one of those sacs at home that I am putting in the rear locker. I will stuff it under the bow seat and fill it with air and take some photos if you guys would like?

Here are some photos I snapped of the 16x10x62 W704 sac under my port side bow seat. Keep in mind this is a 2001 Outback DD. The sac comes all the way to the hull reinforcement piece (which is also where my driver side footwell ends). I was planning on building a bow filler cusion piece that had a bilt in cooler and sub enclosure so I could move my sub out from under the helm. Then I wanted to plumb in two of these bags in the bow so I would end up with about 600# of hidden front ballast. But I didn't have the time or the money to do it this year. Maybe next year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Very nice pics. Looks like those bags are the ticket! 16x10x70 bags that I was thinking about would be too long. Thanks for snapping the pics.

Thank for the pics, that helps!

Default Waterbed tubes...

I have three of them under my front seats. They work great, and not so long that the take up room in the storage area behind the spotter seat. They are about 100lbs each and they are super cheap. Like $10 each at a bed store.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z View Post
    I have three of them under my front seats. They work great, and not so long that the take up room in the storage area behind the spotter seat. They are about 100lbs each and they are super cheap. Like $10 each at a bed store.
    Not a bad idea, although I would be worried about puncturing them unless you have them covered in some way. My first ballast was actually a waterbed ballast stuffed into a large duffle bag and zipped up. It actually worked fairly well for our old direct drive until we got the fat seat.
    2005 Mobius LSV