Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Summerization procedure

I'm getting supplies together to retrieve my boat from hibernation. This being my first inboard, I am nervous, but have decided to take on the task.

Had the local dealership winterize last fall........ I still get angry when I think about that experience. For those that don't know, in short: boat was a mess, no respect what so ever, ski locker full of water and dirty shop towels, and to think I paid ~$350.

I have looked over Al's winterization procedure (awesome by the way), do I reverse it and put everything back together? Hope I found all the bolts that were scattered all over the floor? I know the impeller was not pulled (thanks to the dealership ), and I don't believe it was ever replace (boat has 40 hrs), so I will be ordering a new one. Dealership didn't change the oil either, so I will be doing that as well.

Any thing in particular I should know about or watch for? Anyone want to write up a summerization procedure for the " How to" section? Al, you out there?

They didn't change the oil? That is absolutely wrong unless maybe it had been changed within maybe 10 hours or 4 weeks prior which ever is less.
    For summerization pretty much a reverse, but after winterization some of the nuts/screws may have been replaced so check them, and check fluid levels and battery charge (best you have had it at home on a maintainer),change impeller . I would put in water, warm engine up , check for leaks, watch engine temp to make sure proper coolant flow, then change oil and filter. Make sure there is a water strainer gasket , if you have a water strainer.
    probably more but what i can think of now.
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 03-22-2010 at 09:27 AM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Wondering if the garden hose will supply enough water to allow me to heat up the engine before I change the oil? If I use a system like this https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9968

Or am I best off putting the boat in the lake?

Absolutely do not rev your engine with a Hose!!!

Hose attachments and fake a lakes are only good for idle. If you rev the engine more then a few seconds the impeller will suck the hose closed. Also as the engine revs the impeller will demand 5 or 6xs the water and your normal house cant provide that pressure and the engine will starve for water creating catastrophic damage.

To check your systems you can fake it or hose it like that and many of us do but if you want a true test of temps you have to take the boat out to a lake and preferably off the trailer. Keeping it on the trailer and putting her in gear can damage the trailer, or worse the boat will climb over the trailer front brace. You can leave it on the trailer and put the boat in neutral and rev the engine and it should warm up but it will depend on lake water temp, as truly the engine needs a load on it to warm up properly.
    Last edited by mmandley; 03-22-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks for the info mmandley. I didn't think the fake a lake would allow the engine to warm up properly. Sorry if it was a dumb question, but like I said, this is my first inboard. I'll just take her down to the lake for a little ride. Maybe due the fake a lake prior to that just to make sure I'm not the guy who can't get his boat to start at the dock.

Your only warming the oil up so it makes it easier to remove it thru the quick oil drain. But as Mike says do not rev the engine if on a fake a lake or your hose......
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    Your only warming the oil up so it makes it easier to remove it thru the quick oil drain. But as Mike says do not rev the engine if on a fake a lake or your hose......
    That said, will the oil warm enough on fake lake?

yes , it makes it flow quicker thru the quick drain, thats all
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

I installed one of these and it works great. I just let the boat run at around 1500 rpm for 10-15 minutes and the oil is warm enough to empty out quick.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DP7
    06 Outback V

sounds like you have everything down. Putting the boat back together is easy but just check all the bolts and screws.

If you have issues pulling the impeller then get an impeller puller. I had to fight with mine for about 15 hours then got an impeller puller and took me less then 2 min to get it out. Took more time to pull the cover open then pull the impeller.

Also i made a fake a lake with a clear hose that connects up to the transmission where the water line from the bottom of the boat connects. It is clear so i can see the water flow to make sure it is not sucking air or nothing.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill