Thread: v-drive oil ???

Question v-drive oil ???

This Moomba v-drive is our first v-drive, we are traditional direct drive owners. I notice the red indictor light mounted by the trottle was lit. It states the v-drive fluid is low. I found the transmission fill cap witch called for ATF fluid and added a quart but the light is still on. My question is the trans fluid and the v-drive fluid the same or is there two different seperate units?

if the red light stays on above 1200 rpms-you have problems and need to shut it down right away. the light will be on at idle-that is normal
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

thanks for the reply, the red light is only on at idle. is the v-drive fluid and the trans fluid the same?

Fluids are different. Hate to say but I dont remember the specs so Im not going to say-dont want to give you the incorrect fluids
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

The red light is for the vdrive unit which take sae 30 oil (2 pints). The transmission takes Dextron III tranny fluid (2 quarts). THey are not the same
    If you added a quart the tranny check the level as in the manual you will prob want to remove that extra quart or 3/4 of it
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 03-21-2010 at 06:07 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Double check your manual on your V-drive capacity, my V-drive on my '08 Supra holds 1 quart of SAE 30w which is different from Docs 21v. The Transmission hold 2 quarts of ATF.

Just something to double check.
    2008 SUPRA Launch 22 SSV
    2011 Malibu VLX
    2013 Malibu VLX

Fman ,I read your post wrong and thought you said 1 pint not 1 quart.......but anyways 2 pints equals 1 quart so we are both right
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

my red light flickers sometimes at cruise... any ideas what that could be?