Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BEP VSR or Blue Sea add a battery?

I am having troubles deciding which dual battery setup to go with. Both seem good and about the same price. Any opinions? Is one an easier install? I'll all about simplicity.

Thanks

Blue Seas add a battery is on national backorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Moseley618 View Post
    Blue Seas add a battery is on national backorder.
    That may be, but there are lots of suppliers that have them in stock............one example http://cgi.ebay.com/Blue-Sea-Systems...item3a5867459b

THe BEP vsr does not have the extra remote wiring install like the blue seas. Both work great and many members have both.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    THe BEP vsr does not have the extra remote wiring install like the blue seas. Both work great and many members have both.
    Remote wiring install???? Not sure I know what that is?

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 Outback V View Post
    Remote wiring install???? Not sure I know what that is?
    refere to the wiring diagrams below the blea seas has some extra wires for ignition, and remote led, still pretty simple.

http://bluesea.com/files/resources/i.../990170140.pdf

http://www.bepmarine.com/store/web/C...A/714-100A.pdf
    Last edited by jmvotto; 03-17-2010 at 11:10 AM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I'm a major advocate for combiner/separators or VSRs or ACRs depending on which label you're using. But... I only wish that these devices were as simple as the manufacturers make them out to be.

While you should have a dual-bank multi-stage AC shore charger regardless when you have a large audio system, the need is heightened when you're using a VSR/ACR. Yet both the BEP and Blue Sea recommend using a single bank charger to address two banks that are a.) regularly put into storage at a different charge and b.) offer a different impedance due to the fact that these two banks have been routinely used and cycled in different manners and have aged differently.

These systems also do a few really odd things and do not address several considerations that are more pertinent to towboats and large stereo operations.

There is no such thing as a perfect charging system nor a single prescripton to fit all systems. We address the charging system needs of each sysem uniquely.

We support the SurePower combiner/separator with the necessary peripheral components to match real needs including automated convenience & security, alternator protection & preservation, emergency bypass in case of failed relay or battery, isolation for use with a dual-bank shore charger.

Email me with your system components and your objectives and I can recommend the right management system.

David
    Earmark Marine

BEP does seem a little bit easier to wire. Is there any gain in having more wire connections with the Blue Seas?

Although I do work on computers; I'm not an electrical guru of any sort and I found the wiring of the Blue Sea switch/ACR fairly easy and straight forward. I just installed mine two weeks ago. I took the time to add in the recommended fuses. Aside from measuring the cable lenghts and putting the connectors on, it only took me about 1.5 hours. I ultimately chose the Blue Sea add a battery kit because I can click it "on" and forget about it for the rest of the day. My last boat, I had the standard 1-2 perko switch and I was constantly switching it during the days to get the batteries charged.

I read through a couple of different threads first before I started my install and purchase.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9693
    Last edited by ausbill32; 03-17-2010 at 05:45 PM.
    2007 Moomba LSV

Although my BEP VSR works just fine, I would go with something else if for no other reason than their tech support person is dumber than a bag of sand.