Thread: xlv boat cover

Default xlv boat cover

I have a new XLV. I hate the boat cover that I bought with it. Has anyone tried the snap on cover? Do you like it? Can you tow it down the freeway at highspeed without any problems??

Thanks,
    P

Default Replying to Topic 'xlv boat cover'

I bought an inexpensive drivable cover from Overtons for my boat. I travel a lot and sometimes the boat comes along. The part number for my boat was 71001 and it is on sale now for $179.99. After I got the cover from Overtons I ordered the tie down straps from the manufacturer and a product they call the cincher. The staps wrap around the frame on the trailer and have quick release plastic buckles that makes install a snap I believe the straps were about $40. The cincher pulls the drawstring tight and it was about $20. It works great. My boat is white w/purple and the only matching covers I found were aroung $600. I went with the gray cover and use the factory cover when I am in the water. I have pulled the boat from Michigan, to Chicago, to New Orleans, to Jacksonville, FL, and then back to Chicago. No problems what so ever. The only down side is that this cover goes over the swim platform and if I use it with the boat in the water the drawstring is under water. Thats why I use the factory cover when in the water. The cincher works great with the factory cover and pulls the drawstring tight enough the wind will never blow the cover off.

Storm

Patrick,
    I have never heard of anyone having problems while towing with a snap-on cockpit cover and bow cover. The only negative thing I have heard about them is that they let water under them fairly easily. Most people talk about water that runs down the windshield and right under the bow cover. Why don't you like the standard cover that you got with your boat? Just wondering. Others on this board including myself have had trouble keeping water from seriously pooling on the back of our covers. Some people have gone as far as creating PVC supports to compliment the adjustable poles that came with the covers. Good luck.
    Jeff
    Dearborn, MI

YOu will find elsewhere on this site reference to trailering with boat covers on. In general when driving down the road witha a canvas cover straped to the frame the straps can beat up the side of your boat and leave black marks and burn the gel coat. The flapping of the canvas against the boat at highway speeds also burns the gel coat.

As much as I would love to be able to cover the boat going down the road I never do it. I do not have snap ons but have considered it.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I have a Mobius LSV and had a snap cover installed over the winter by a canvas shop the dealer uses. I've towed the boat with the cover on and not had any issues at all with it unsnapping. We also use this cover on our boat lift and haven't had any water issues yet. The shop is experienced with ski boat covers and the bow sections comes up the windshield a bit and zips to the main section and so far has been water tight.

Well I have more hours on my trailer that I do in the water and no problems with marks on the boat so far. The straps only touch the boat in one place near the fenders and it is below the water line. I feel better about driving with the cover on. Don't think that the highway speeds can be very good for the interior. Not to mention my first time on the highway I nearly lost the passenger seat bottom. My only area of concern is where I broke two of the straps and have to use bungee cords. Stupid me tried to move the boat a few feet in the yard and did not have the straps buckled. They dont fair too well when you run over them. Fortunated did not hurt the cover just broke the plactic buckles.

Storm

Well I have more hours on my trailer that I do in the water and no problems with marks on the boat so far. The straps only touch the boat in one place near the fenders and it is below the water line. I feel better about driving with the cover on. Don't think that the highway speeds can be very good for the interior. Not to mention my first time on the highway I nearly lost the passenger seat bottom. My only area of concern is where I broke two of the straps and have to use bungee cords. Stupid me tried to move the boat a few feet in the yard and did not have the straps buckled. They dont fair too well when you run over them. Fortunated did not hurt the cover just broke the plactic buckles.

Storm

I HAVE A 04 XLV AND GOT THE MOORING COVER FOR IT JUST TO KEEP IT COVERERD IN SIDE FOR THE WINTER.I HAD A LOCAL CANVAS SHOP MAKE ME A CUSTOM COCKPIT COVER AND A BOW COVER WITH A RUBBER SEAL ON IT TO KEEP OUT THE WATER AND POLLEN OUT.iT ALSO HAS SOME VENTS WHERE THE POLES ARE TO KEEP THE BOAT FROM GETING MILDEW INSIDE WHEN PUTTING IT ON WHEN THE CARPET IS NOT DRY.IT ALSO STAYS ON WHEN TRAILERING DOWN THE ROAD.MUCH NICER THAN THE FACTORY ONE OFFERD BY MOOMBA.