Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stereo remote problem

Stereo remote stopped working (drivers side) after 5 hours on boat. I did a little config change on the stereo head, station programming and such. Is there any setting on the stereo that would disable the remote?

-Jim
    Have Fun, Ski Hard

Default Replying to Topic 'Stereo remote problem'

Hey Ed I had the same problem with my remote..assuming you have the Kenwood system. The fix for mine was a new head unit. The dealer had never had the problem before. We tried another remote and still would not work. Swapped out the head unit and it has worked fine ever since. But i only had 30 mins on mine when it stopped. A real dissapointment....
    2002 Moomba Outback Red

I can still use the head unit for the stereo, but the remote doesn't work. The light comes on when I use the cockpit lights, but it doesn't control the stereo.

-Jim
    Have Fun, Ski Hard

I'm having the same problem with my stereo dash remote. My stereo itself works fine, but the drivers side dash remote does nothing. It worked fine when I put the boat to bed for the winter, when I dusted the boat off this spring I woulnt work. I havent had a chance to contact the dealership yet.

Seeing these posts makes me see this may be a Kenwwod problem and I'm not alone in this problem. Like Troy said, they replaced the head unit and I works fine now. That may be the only fix.

I have an 03 Mobius LS with 61 hours on it. I have had to replace the transom remote on my stereo twice. I have had no problems with the driver's side remote. They are fairly easy to replace, only 4 wires. However, it stinks when they quit working. You might try and make sure that the wires are properly connected.

It worked for the first five hours. Then it stopped working. All the wires look good, no loose connections. Still baffelled!!

Jim
    Have Fun, Ski Hard

Well I found the problem with my remote! Ends up it was a loose wire. I had an appointment today to take my boat into the the dealer to look at the problem, but last night fearing that they will find something simple (like a loose wire) I really tore into my boat one last time to see if I could find the problem.
    I traced the wires coming out the back of the remote (in the dash) they disapear into the wireing harness less than a foot from the dash. I than crawled under the passenger side to look up at the back of the stereo and with the best of my ability checked all the wires plugging into the stereo, everything seemed good. Its very tight up where all the wires are running. (I HAVE LOOKED BACK THERE A NUMBER OF TIMES TRYING TO FIND THE PROBLEM, BUT BECAUSE OF WHERE THE REMOTE WIRE GOES INTO THE STEREO IT IS VERY HARD TO GET TO)
    Next I pull the stereo out of the dash, as I slowly slid the head unit out of the housing I noticed a free wire coming out the top right side on the back. Sure enough thats the remote wire.
    I had to slide the stereo back in all the way for the wire to even connect, there is absolutly no slack wire when plugging it back in. (VERY TIGHT FIT) I can see how it would work its way loose, the wires have tention on them at all times, after a few bumps here and there they can very easily work there way loose. With the type of connector they use it appears to still be plugged in when in reality they arent making contact, thus resulting in a dash remote that doesnt work.

I saved myslf a trip the the dealer and everything works good now!

Hope that helps anybody else out there with the same problem unless of course your head unit is actually bad.

By the way this is an 03 Mobius with the stock Kenwood 6 speaker system.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll go look tonight.

Jim
    Have Fun, Ski Hard

I had the exact same problem.....it was a disconnected wire from the back of the stereo. It was a 30 second fix!!

My remote doesnt work either. I checked the wiring, all good. Even opened up the head unit to check the solder joint, good as well. I want to check the voltage on the signal wire that connects to the head unit (anybody else have a multimeter and can check their voltage for me?) I dont want to get a remote if its the head unit so I thought checking to see if there is a signal would clarify it. If its the head unit, Im starting over with something besides Kenwood and their disposable remotes. ack!
    Jim Hagen
    Madison, Wisconsin
    facebook.com/signedgewraps

2011 Moomba Mobius LSV - Exiled
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold