Default Using Tsunami ballast pumps? Polarity matters!

I've seen it mentioned a few times that polarity doesn't matter when it comes to the Tsunami pumps. But after some research and testing polarity definitely matters to both the performance and longevity of the pumps.

Although the Tsunami will pump water regardless of polarity, if the wiring is reversed it will "reduce performance and can cause pump failure." If you want an easy test, pop out the motor cartridge and watch the impeller direction. The impeller shape is clearly directional and much more efficient when wired properly.

If you are reusing sprinkler valve wiring, it's not easy to tell which wires are positive and which are negative. So an easy test is to hook the motor cartridge directly to the battery terminals. Brown to positive, black to negative. I used a D cell battery and that worked too. Take note of the direction the impeller spins. Now hook it to the valve wiring and see if it's spinning the same way. If not, reverse your wires.

In summary: Brown = Positive, Black = Negative.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/blog/...i-bilge-pumps/

that may explain why im having issues with one of my tsunami empty pumps--going to take a look and see what way its spinning.

Thanks

Still have that rule fill pump?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    that may explain why im having issues with one of my tsunami empty pumps--going to take a look and see what way its spinning.

Thanks

Still have that rule fill pump?
    Hope that fixes your issue! Rule pump found a new home late last week, sorry. I'm loving all the ballast mods going on around here though. Hopefully we don't have a corresponding number of transmission failures in a couple years...

I found this out as well, they hard way. I was bench testing my 3800 through the manifold and when I flipped the switches water just barely trickled out. My heart sank to the floor. I reversed the wires and sure enough polarity mattered on the Rule pump as well!!!
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

That makes sense, Jesse. I didn't want to speak for the Rule pumps because I hadn't tested them, but it's likely true for most if not all aerator pumps.

I thought I had one bad Rule pump and one good one. I flipped the wires one day and it turned out I had two good ones.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!