Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LSV and Skiing

nice run(s)!! I don't think any V drive is going to compare to that wake there and I can see why proficient skiers like you guys wouldn't want to ski behind a v-drive (maybe I can use my wake as an excuse for poor skiing? LOL). But back to the original post; I've skied behind bass trackers, rinkers, Lunds, etc and I think the v drive is an upgrade from I/O and outboard wakes for those who free ski recreationally and aren't destined for the slalom course.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Default Skiing behind an LSV

I've owned an Outback LS, an XLV, and I now have a 2009 LSV. I've skied behind them all. I'm a recreational skier and wakeboarder who slalem skis at 22 off at 36mph. Like you, I'm not a snob and will ski behind just about anything. I'm not looking to break any records, I just love to be on the water. The LSV wake is definitely skiable. Even the XLV wake is skiable at 36. We chose the LSV because of its overall size (will fit in garage) and because the wife had a tough time driving the XLV around the dock.
    No, you are not going to get a tournament ski wake out of a V drive. That said, it WILL be a lot better than a typical IO Bayliner at 36 if you have a wakeplate. A good dealer will take you out for a test drive. A great dealer will give you a pull to see for yourself. If that doesn't work out for you I would check out one of the Moomba get-togethers for a test pull. Most boat owners would love to show off their wake, or lack thereof.

Just my two cents...

based on what you guys have said I think I'll speed my OBV up a bit this summer- that vid I posted was at 30-32 mph or however fast my wife decides to drive as she looks at the scenery.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

I've got one word for you: PerfectPass!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skiyaker View Post
    ....however fast my wife decides to drive as she looks at the scenery.
    That's pretty funny.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Thank you everyone for thier opinion on this.

Zegm: I think you and I have talked about this a million times in the last year or so. I am totally sold on the LS, but I have two issues. 1) nobody will carry an LS so I will need to either go looking for one or have one shipped up here from another dealer. 2) just can't convince my wife that the LS would be the best for us. She wants a V-drive.

there is still 2.6' of ice up here so I don't need to hurry on this one.

Get the LS while you can. Word is it's getting dropped.

I would think a dealer would get it shipped it that's what it takes to make a deal.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Ive been in zegm's boat, there is a lot of room for being a direct drive.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Smile

As hard as it may be to get an LS, the question you have to ask is how much do you want to ski versus Wakeboard,surf etc.If skiing is a priority you defenitely will be comprimising if you go the Vdrive route as it will be to some degree if you go the DD route.
    We have an Outback DD and for skiing is definetely the way to go,but thats Not the issue here.
    You are going to comprimise somehow some way. The LS DD is called the Moomba Crossover boat where as the others are a comprimise for skiing at best.
    Room /layout are the big comprimise in a LS if Vdrives are your thing, but as mentioned its the same hull as an LSV minus seating in the middle like mentioned isn't there in a Vdrive as well.
    Something you may want to consider if you go the DD route is that you will have a very capable boat to ski aggressively behind if you wish especially if you want to take your skiing up a notch.Your chioce. I now ski harder/faster than ever before as i have a very capable ski boat that is a pure joy to ski behind which helped to renew my skiing glory days. The LS is a very versatile boat,for all facets of watersports,so in my opinion don't discount it without giving it its DO.

Smile

Oh BTW Laz thats some nice skiing footage you have as well.