Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery choice

Default Battery choice

just curious to see how many stereo batteries you guys are using, what brand, and amp hours. I'm picking up 2 group 31 Deka Sea Mates this week. Total amp hours will be 204 hours.

I don't even worry about it, i run Interstates and haven't had any issues with play time.
    2007 Mobius LSV

second razz. I run 2 interstate deep cycle marine's and have not ever had an issue with it, but I'm also not out there running it for hours on end as a party barge. maybe 30-40 minutes once or twice a day then lots of running inbetween, so really a non-issue..

I enjoy surfing and boarding too much to be just sitting and listening to music. that comes at the bbq at the end of the day at the house
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I posted a whole thread and asked tons of questions about this on wakeworld a month or two ago and put together a little spreadsheet of the most popular batteries for comparison. I think I learned more about batteries than I ever wanted too. After all the price comparisons and analysis; I chose the deep cycle marine batteries from Walmart (Everstart MAXX-29). This Group 29 battery has 125 amp hour rating, 875 marine cranking amps, and 205 minute reserve. I elected to buy 2 batteries for $150 bucks total. I installed them and opted for the "Blue Sea Add a Battery kit" which has a combine switch and battery isolater. I have no experience with them yet but a lot of people use these walmart batteries and most users reported no issues (2-3 years). I cruised serveral fishing forums too and discovered many people use these walmart batteries for their trolling motors. Warranty is 12 months full replacement, 3 year pro-rated. I can buy 3 of these for the cost of 1 AGM battery.

In my mini survery, the Deka AGM battery was definitely one of the favorites among people on wakeworld in the AGM category. I was torn between a standard batttery and AGM. Had I gone AGM though, I would have purchased this one from Sears.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rine+Batteries
    Last edited by ausbill32; 03-15-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    2007 Moomba LSV

Are the Interstate and Walmart batteries gel or fluid?

The Walmart Everstart Maxx series are wet cell batteries so they must remain up right. I learned that the biggest advantage of the AGM batteries are that you can put them in any position but that was not a concern for me. When I use to own my Supra 21v I had 3 Optima blue top batteries and I always thought it was a waist of money. I think the longest I ever ran the radio was 5 hours in a cove and I never got use of the 3rd battery, heck I barely used the 2nd battery come to think of it.

I have a smaller stereo system in the LSV than I did in the Supra so based on my math, I should be able to run this system for 3-4 hours on 1 Everstart battery (3 small amps, 1 sub, and infinity tower speakers). There are tons of fishing forum threads on this topic and people saying these Everstart batteries last 2+ years. For $65-75 bucks, it's a good deal in my opinion and they should last but only time will tell. Worst case scenario, I get another one free with-in first year. I ran the stereo for 80 minutes last weekend when I was working on the boat but it was at a lower volume. I'm buying two of those battery bug monitors and I'm going to bench mark the drainage this weekend when I go to the lake. I'm going to extend the cables and mount the monitoring devices some where in the drivers area. I still can't believe these boats don't come with battery voltage reader in the dash.

Here's one of the fishing forum threads on the Everstart battery:
    http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerot...rine-batteries

Here's a link to the Battery bug - tons of these devices available: I had one of these battery bugs (motorcycle model) on my motorcycle - they work well.
    http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...lID=NA&sc=3364
    Last edited by ausbill32; 03-15-2010 at 06:24 PM.
    2007 Moomba LSV

I will need to start 2010 off with a new one.. I stopped by and checked on the boat Saturday. Where I stored it did not afford me the opportunity to plug up a trickle charger... I turned on Perf Pass and it registered 10.7V... which is normal for a long cold winter.. but, it is a 2006 battery and will be replaced when the boat comes out to make sure I don't get stranded..
    I don't run enough extra stereo to justify second battery, I just keep a battery jump box on board for emergencies.
    From suggestions on here, sounds like I'll go with the interstates. I have had a couple of MC friends unhappy with their Optimas and have seen plenty of issues online..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I think the Optimas are overated myself. I'm getting a pretty good deal on the group 31 Deka at $150 per battery. I'm not a "party cove" type of person but I think I'll float an hour or two a day and the occassional 2-3 hours of straight floating and playing music on weekdays when the lake is empty and I can relax. I'll be running 3 JL amps and I know the group 31 batteries are overkill for the type of music playing I do but better to have more than not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ausbill32 View Post
    I posted a whole thread and asked tons of questions about this on wakeworld a month or two ago and put together a little spreadsheet of the most popular batteries for comparison. I think I learned more about batteries than I ever wanted too. After all the price comparisons and analysis; I chose the deep cycle marine batteries from Walmart (Everstart MAXX-29). This Group 29 battery has 125 amp hour rating, 875 marine cranking amps, and 205 minute reserve. I elected to buy 2 batteries for $150 bucks total.
    This is the route I took. Im using a starting/cranking battery for the boat and two of the group 29's wired parellel for my system. We definately spend alot of time floating or tied up in a cove using the stereo. Since i've got the best system out of all my freinds my batteries get a good work out regularly and i've never had a problem with them running down. Last 4th of July we ran the system for four days without puting a charge on them except for a quick cruise here and there and had no problems.
    06 Outback V

I get the CCA rating on the battery but where are you seeing this minute left charge? Or hours on the battery info?

I have 2 Marine Batteries right now and soon to add a 3rd but all i see is a 650 CCA and a MCA or MGA or something for 870 or something. I have to double check.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]