Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moomba = Yugo??

Default Replying to Topic 'Moomba = Yugo??'

Shoe, I think you are right on the money in your research and you made a good decision when you bought your boat.

Lets face it, a boat, any boat, "is a hole in the water you sink your money in". It is up to the individual consumer to decide how much, for what reasons, and for how long. Like you, I did a ton of research on boats prior to buying mine. I looked at mastercraft and malibus mostly but did reasearch the nautique. I had a friend that had a 1999 outback last year that he was selling. He ended up selling the outback for $4,000. less that he had originaly bought it for brand new(approx. 5yrs later). The person buying it was also a person I knew and he is an EXTREMELY tight person with money and performed his own research. After it was all said and done, he purchased tha used 1999 outback and has been happy since.

I bought a late year 2002 Kamberra Walkabout without the tower. I put a tower on, added racks, upgraded the stereo, and put on a bimini top. I still came out as much as $10k less than the mastercraft that I was originaly looking at and the less than the Supra launch ss that was the same as the kamberra. I also researched the resale of my moomba and found, suprisingly that I would not be upside down if I sold or tradded my Kamberra.

Bottom line, you made a great choice financially and recreationally.

Enjoy. By the way, It was indeed crazy at Travis memorial Weekend, does it always get that way on the weekends?

Hey Shoe. I'm the one that posted in the forum that you're referring to, the comparison of my XLV as a loaded Suburban to a more refined, yet under-sized and over priced Mercedes M-Class. If you do much riding on Lake Austin, you'll notice the trend of Nauti's and X series. i love my XLV and wouldn't trade it for one of the forementioned boats. It may not be the best money can buy, but I could still buy a new tow vehicle to pull it with the money I didn't spend on one of the others. We will never win the battle against the pretentious people in Austin, but who gives a $h1t. We know that we made a SMART buy and are having as much, if not more, without having had buy in to their ideals. VERY sharp looking boat by the way!!!!

Levi's...... Calvin Klein.....

Levi's last longer and look better. Enjoy your boat and go have some fun!! Just bought a "new" 03 Outback last month, this thing rocks!! After looking at "severely used" mastercraft, nautique, and malibu's I figured what the hell. I can go buy a new Moomba for the price of a used mastercraft, etc. They just sell the name. In my opinion....

Moomba + Attitude = Kick Ass Fun

Mastercraft + Snob = Can't afford to do Crap!
    Have Fun, Ski Hard

Default Do the REAL math

Do the math... The resale PERCENTAGE is higher for the MC and CC models, but after you factor in the purchase price, sales tax, and loan payments the actual COST of owning a Moomba is far, far less.

I understand why people choose MC and CC over Moomba, Those boats are NICE through-out. But the resale argument just doesn't hold water.

I agree with the rest. I've managed to put 270+ hours on my '03 Outback LS in TWO years. Yes I use it some. To date I've had 2 repairs. One was a recall by Indmar. My buddy had the same recall on his 75K Mastercraft. And about a month ago I noticed water in the engine compartment. Not much so I didn't worry as I knew it couldn't be anything serious. It wasn't. A muffler sprouted a leak. The dealership infromed me that the muffler manufacture sells to "just about all boats. And it happens from time to time whether its Nautique, Mastercraft."

My point: "No mattter what you buy, it will have maintenance."

As far as resale value goes. The other high dollar makes will depreciate faster simply due to them having so much more up front invested. period.

That being said. The other makes are hating Moomba. Thats why Tige, Mastercraft and Malibu have all recently offered a "entry level" boat. None of which seem to be as well built as the Moombas. Many rattle and are genuinely NOT the quality of Moomba.

Sleep well knowing that you didn't waste your money. However, the owners of the Mstercrafts, Nautiques, etc. probably will second guess themself everytime you drive by.

If anyone has anything bad to say about moomba, just tell them if they are going to bash a moomba, then just go ahead and throw the supra boats in there with them. Moomba is to Supra as Toyota is to Lexus. They are both great cars, one is a luxury model, the other is a budget model. Moomba is as good a boat as all the others with it's indmar v8. The only thing about them is they take about 25 hours less to make than a supra because the interior does not have all the beads along the seems and stuff.
    I own a 2003 Mobius LSV GG Edition and love it. I bought it used this year and got a killer deal on it. It's simple, if your boarding/boating on a budget, moomba is the way to go. You can't beat them. Plus, one thing I hate hate hate about the big "name brand" boats is the stupid ballast tanks. I hate hard tanks. They are a waste of space. When my bags are empty I have tons of storage space. Plus they are easily upgradable. My neighbor down the street bought a malibu lsv this year and almost dropped a load in his pants when I told him how much I paid for my boat (half the price for the same boat)
    I would be pissed off at myself if I went with any other boat.

I am in the market and in the price vs boat contest the Moomba is the best for the buck. It doesn't take owners of the big three to remind me that it will depreciate quickly. I am glad to see that Moomba owners are as loyal to their brand and $ as I plan to be. I am not going to say this is the last boat I will buy but it sure would be nice.

We purchased our 2003 Mobius at the 2003 boat show in Portlland, OR. Took delivery with 3 hours on the clock in april 2003 in the snow. Active Watersports delivered the boat to us 150 miles away. Matt and Jay even went for a ride in the snow to check the boat out for us and let our son wakeboard(dry-suit) on Lake Billy Chinook. We now have 260+ hours on the boat. 1st summer about 150 second summer 110 or so. No problems to date that could not be taken care of in regular maint. The people at active respect the customer and treat them like they want them to stay. Moomba makes a quality boat. Maybe not all the chrome but throws a good wake, starts when you ask it to and holds a good line for the double up. Cant see 20k+ more for some of the others. There is allways room for improvement but our boat is no YUGO and the nextime I pull another brokendown brand in I will remind them of that. Besides only a fool would pay 30k for a Yugo.
    Living Well Is The Best Revenge!

Shoe,
    I have had my 04 Mobius 320 LSV for a year now, 150 hrs on it. I live in Ca so I get to board all year. I have more Malibu's around me on any given day than any other boat brand. The Malibu's are very nice. Every wake boarder both pro and novice who board with me, prefer the Mobius wake and pull over the Malibu.
    I purchased almost every option Moomba offered due to the cash I was saving. The boat is stellar, the dealer has been great. I had a few issues when it was new and we worked through all of them as I would expect of my dealer and warranty.
    I will buy another Supra or Mobius in five years or so without a doubt.
    I wish they had more dealerships here, only complaint I have.

Brent Frank
    Ventura, CA