Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moomba = Yugo??

Default Moomba = Yugo??

Folks,
    I read a local wakeboarding BB and they are currently bashing Moombas as being unreliable, bad resale value and overall a "Yugo" (whereas the Nautique is compared to a Mercedes). The claims are that while the Moomba LSV and XLV are "OK", the resale value of them kills you and unless you intend to keep them for 10 years, it is much better to go with a Malibu, MasterCraft, Tige or Nautique which are better boats and hold resale value much better. I realize JD Powers had some decent ratings for Moomba recently (although according to my read, Nautique was perfect, followed by Malibu being just barely better than the tied Moomba and MasterCraft), but can anyone comment on reliability and resale values on the Moombas? I'd like to dispense some facts to counter their affluent bashing. I would think that on a percentage basis, Moombas would tend to hold value better than some of the more costly boats, but I have no facts. They also say that Moombas are notorious for breaking down. Help please.
    Shoe

Default Replying to Topic 'Moomba = Yugo??'

I haved learned that internet websites are full of extremists and people who really have no clue of what they talk. Maybe they are trying to justify the extra 10-20k they spent for a little more "cushy" seats? I owned a 99 Malibu Response, and my Moomba runs as well, handles as well, and looks better. When you strip this boat down to what really matters, the engine and the handling, they are they same boat. I have only owned this one for a short period of time, but I love it and glad I saved the money.

Just one example of how those people don't know what they are talking about is that Moomba's "break down" more than the others. Indmar engines are in many different brands of ski boats, including Mastercraft. To say that one "breaks down" more than another is illogical. It is all a matter of personal preference. I drive a Chevrolet truck and would not drive a luxury car if you gave me one. That is because my truck fits my needs. Same with a boat. If you and your family are happy with your boat and it does everything you ask it to do, who cares what someone else thinks about it?

Just wondering, don't you guys have anything else to do than to worry about this.

My theory is that most of these Moomba bashers are really just ticked off that someone else can be out on the water in a righteous ski boat for at least 10 grand less then what they had to shell out. They're just snobs, really. When I see a post like that I just throw in my 2 cents about how great my boat is and how little I paid for it. And if the question of reasale comes up I recommend they check out eBay and watch how high the bidding for a used Moomba goes. It's impressive.

Bottom line is that the boat bashers are into the image and not the sport. F**** 'em.

Brian

Its been reliable. Problems have been cosmetic, ( which can be frustrating to a perfectionist but not to us). Come on, its a chevy v8 with more power than we need bolted to solid frame and drivetrain. Not a yugo that won't run. We are into our 6th season now. I will keep it for many years, maybe give it to one of the older kids and go visit it on weekends. Could never justify the extra cost for a Nautique.

We're not great, many of you are better, but while we kick ass on skis and boards, big-shot pretty rich boy got-a-house-on-the-lake-and-benzs-in-the-driveway owners are drifting nearby. Watching us do it.

So, they have more stuff than us, but we here are really having fun and getting our moneys-worth

I just bought my Outback a month ago. Could not be happier. Me the wife and kids have been having a blast on it. We are stoked beyond belief. This boat has exceeded my expectations. I have wanted an inboard ski boat since I was 16 years old. I am 40 now. I am in a position in life where I can afford some toys. The first place I went to was the nearest Nautique dealer. When they told me the price I almost fell out of my chair. I have heard of being proud of your product but my god Nautique get a grip. Next place I went to had a Sunset orange Outback on the show room floor. I had never heard of Moomba but I was definetly liking what I was seeing. So I sheepishly got with a sales rep there and asked the price. WOW $18,000.00 dollars less than the same class Nautique. I did a little research on Moomba and went back over there and said, " give me that Sunset Orange bad boy."
    I believe Nautique owners are paying an additional 10 grr just for the name alone.
    Nautiques are definetly a nice boat but I am having just as much fun as they are for a lot less money and they are green with envy.
    George

When I looked at boats prior to buying, I couldn't believe the cost of Mastercraft and Nautique. After having spent some time researching the pro's and cons, I am sure I make the right choice. Service is great on the rare occasion that I need it, performance is equal to the others, design, in my opinion looks better, and the price cannot be beat. I've seen alot of these guys on the lake and talked to a few and the ones near my age have had to buy used since they couldn't afford the new models. When asked why they went with Nautique or Mastercraft, they just say, cause it's a Nautique, or Mastercraft. No real reason. When they find out the price of mine brand new, the looks on their faces are priceless. Just like anything else, a little research and price comparison, it's hard to beat the deal that Mooba has.

Medic
    Medic151
    06 Mobius XLV

I have a friend who bought the new Mastercraft X-Star with all the bells and whistles, the price tag $75,000.00. I kid you not! We took it to the lake ready to ride all day. The boat would not plane off. We were unable to figure out the problem and he had to take it back to the dealer for adjustments. The rest of us went and got my Outback and rode the rest of the day!

First, I want to thank all for their responses. Perhaps my wording misled some, but my intent really was to find out if Moombas have a history of reliability problems and poor resale as compared against the competition (as purported on the local wakeboarding BB). I purchased my first boat ever this year, a 2004 Moomba Mobius LSV after a relentless campaign by my 15 year old son. When I first began to research boats, I looked at Nautiques and the big names and first was absolutely shocked how expensive they were and second, decided there was no way I was going to spend that kind of money on a boat. I pretty much began looking at used boats. It was my son that pointed me to Moombas as being affordable, new boats. Case in point, I was somewhat enamored with a 3 year old, used MasterCraft for $42K (just looking at the pictures and description at the dealership). In fact, we were able to get the new LSV with better equipment, for approx. $7K less, with a 5-yr extended warranty.

As part of my research, I scanned used Moomba prices and it looked like they seemed to hold resale value very well. In addition, it appeared that Moomba used pretty much industry standard engines/transmissions that should be as reliable as the next boat (given that the "next" boat has the same engine and transmission anyway).

So...my impression was that the Moomba was a solid, cost-effective boat that looked great and had a good wake. My intent, therefore, of my posting was to find out if my research was flawed and also to figure out why the Moomba was being trashed on the local wakeboard BB. I still believe, based on further research, that Moombas hold resale as well or in some cases better than the competitiors. I also have not seen reliability problems and based on reading this BB, I don't believe reliability is any worse than most boat manufacturers. I was hoping for more details on these questions.

One example of resale value on the local BB was a 2002 Nautique at a local dealer listed for $41K. Based on the picture and description, it looked really sharp. However, based on doing some configurations, it appears that boat cost in the $60-$65K range new, with an agressive discount off list. That means the boat lost 1/3rd of its value in 2 years. Based on various used boat BBs, it looks like Moomba tends to lose 1/4th of its value in the same timeframe. Nautiques have been top rated by JD Powers for years, yet lose 1/3rd their value in 2 years? To me, that indicates that Moomba is at least equal to if not better in retaining resale value. I would like to see some corroboration on this from others, though.

Lastly, I take this time because I look at my investment in the boat as both recreational and financial. I don't fork out $35K frivolously. So, if I want to protect my investment, in the marketplace where I would look to resell, I think that is prudent use of my time. The advancement of Moomba as a leading boat helps all Moomba owners.
    Shoe