Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

not 100% sure....but if you have both batteries hooked up to the charger then you are feeding current on both sides of the vsr which is why it is not likeing it. turn your switch to off thus disconnecting the vsr and then you can charge maintain the batteries. Or just hook the charger up to the stereo battery and once it is up to charge then the vsr will kick in and charge the motor battery i am assuming it is a dual sensing vsr .

I expected it to work that way too Doc, no dice. Charging one side, turning the switch to "off", even pulling the ground "sensing" wire from the VSR doesn't work. You have to completely remove the positive leads off the VSR before it will charge. So I'll be adding perko switches on both positive leads coming off the VSR and switch them off before charging.

is yours wired like this?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

For the most part that looks the same. I have only 1 circuit breaker and I'm not sure where all the wires in that pic go, but the VSR is the same at least. And unless those positive leads are removed, regardless of switch position, the charger won't work.

well, i'll have to try my shore charger on mine
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    well, i'll have to try my shore charger on mine
    I think a standard single stage charger will work fine. In fact that is the suggestion I got from ProMariner. The problem I'm having is that my charger senses battery voltage and has multiple charging stages. So both the VSR and the charger are sensing voltage and trying to react accordingly, and in the end they screw each other up.

You might need to get one of these then

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart...cat=305&page=1

Dave at Earmark sent me this link. It simply cuts the VSR out of the equation while charging.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

You got it, two of them actually.

When the BEP switch is 'off' the VSR is still in the circuit between the two batteries and closed when the voltage is high. So now a dual-bank charger cannot run independent programs although the two banks have different chmistry if for no other reason than they're used very differently.

Many ACR/VSRs have an ignition trigger, some combine and some separate depending on the intentions of the manufacturer. For those that separate this would consititute a small but continuous current draw while in storage. Not a good option.

On those ACR/VSRs that will open once the ground is cut, the manufacturer discourages this. I'm speculating, but I suspect that while there is no potential harm to the solenoid, the solid state electronics are designed to have a ground first and last in order to maintain their programming. Not sure how sophisticated the sensing circuits are but it seems logical.

Dual-Sensing ACR/VSRs versus priority charging versions would require a manual disconnect on both banks in order to eliminate the current sensing draw which disrupts the charger's ability to precisely profile both banks.

There are numerous other layers and frequently overlooked considerations in how you utilize and integrate an ACR/VSR into the rest of the charging system. There is no perfect charging system and single prescription that best fits every boat or every boater.

We support the SurePower product and upon gaining a clear understanding of your unique system, we package a comprehensive solution. It comes with clear instructions and illustrations. And, if something becomes problematic down the road we can provide diagnostic assistance which is even harder to get than the initial manufacturer support.

David
    Earmark Marine