Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moomba V. medium waves and rough water

Hello all, I've been trying to get some feedback on Yamaha and wakeboard and ended up with the conclusion that it might not be a good idea to get a jet boat in the first place. After additional searching I ended up looking at used Moomba, but I'm kinda concerned how it handles in waves and rough water.

I tried searching but all I could find is lakes and more lakes, or I might have picked the wrong phrase to do the search. In any case, I would like to know what Moomba model would handle extremely well in rough water to the point of not getting slapped on every wave and then hating the day I made the choice of getting this type of boats in the first place. I don't know why but I'm begging to think of Moomba boats like sport cars with fine tuned suspensions, extremely stable at smooth roads but crapy at rough ones.

Thanks in advance,
    Adsonic

Most wake board boat will handle similar to one another. Its like you said, sport cars, trucks, limos, they all get you from point A to B but its the manor at which they do it.

XLV would be the best at ruff water because its the biggest.

LSV and OBV are not as good in ruff water, they can handle it and take the waves up to a point but they all have low noses and arnt designed as a ruff water boat.

What would help more in this is what types of places are you planning on boating in? What is ruff water to you?

To me white caps and 1ft chop is very ruff, i only go to lakes, reservoirs and the local river, when i know its a low wind day.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Are you planning to buy a boat without test driving?

Thanks for the reply, we usually get on a normal day between 2 to 4 feet waves, and the boat will run in open water not too close to the shore.

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Are you planning to buy a boat without test driving?
    Planning on buying it from the US and shipping it over here in Kuwait. It fit nicely inside a small container.

Plus, I didn't see one anywhere here to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adsonic View Post
    Thanks for the reply, we usually get on a normal day between 2 to 4 feet waves, and the boat will run in open water not too close to the shore.
    Sorry, but you need to keep shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    nothing wrong with buying a Moomba without test driving it.

Many of us on these boards have done it.

It bought my 1st one solely on Moomba's reputation for best bang for the buck. A test ride was never even mentioned when I 1st met the salesperson.

I'm now on my 2nd Moomba and am convinced I never made a mistake.

I have the 2009 Outback V. This is definetly not the boat for rough water! It will take the pounding of rough water and cut thru rough waves like a knife thru butter, but you will end up taking water over the bow and flooding everything

Like others have said - look towards the XLV
    Ed, he's said he's looking used.

Sorry, but you need to keep shopping.
    Other alternatives would be highly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Adsonic View Post
    Other alternatives would be highly appreciated
    You'll need to look to an entirely different class of boats. Watersports boats just aren't designed for the kind of open water you're describing (with few, very expensive exceptions.) I'll leave it to those familiar with open water boats to guide you towards some makes/models that might handle 2-4' waves.

Ed, he's said he's looking used.
    Necessary steps will be taken to insure unpleasant surprises will be at minimum

Bought 3 cars and 2 bikes from the US, didn't had any problems besides the normal wear and tear.