Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teak Platform

Default Teak Platform

I am interested in building a Teak platform this winter for my 07' LSV. Has anyone seen any plans?
    07 LSV

Never seen any, nor have i heard of anyone wanting to do so. Why in the world would you want a teak platform with all the teak issues over the glass unit? Just curious.
    2007 Mobius LSV

There are believers out there. I'm sure zegm would get you pics and dimensions. Or, you could just order one.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I'm an avid wood worker, I love wood products. With the correct finish the look and feel can be incrediable.
    07 LSV

Well, I'll go with you on the "look" part but that's all.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

X2 on the look, but the rest is just a pain and not worth it to me personally.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I don't get it!? I had a teak platform on my MasterCraft for 22 plus years without a problem. Ordered our 2008 LS with the Teak and haven't had a problem. Yes at the end of the summer I take some Teak oil and a rag and wipe it down good. Yeah maybe it takes me 20 minutes. Yet all over this board I see issues with the stock pad on the fiberglass deck. Footprints, hot bottom burner, etc. Group buys for this new better version etc., how to get the thing off. I have yet to see an issue with the teak posted.
    Teak looks Great! And everyone knows if it doesn't have a teak deck then it ain't a skiboat!

PS While at a recent gathering I was looking closely at the imitation decks (fiberglass) and noticed they have a lip on the circumference of them. I looked at mine and there is no such edge. I am now wondering if this feature has something to do with all the posts I see about the deck brackets coming loose. My brackets are tight but again I have nothing catching the water while underway.
    Last edited by zegm; 07-29-2010 at 01:29 PM.

I don't like teak platforms for the following reasons;
    • I've always had to re-oil at least twice a year when i had them and even then it always looked like crap after the second outing.
    • Hard as a rock and unforgiving if something happens to fall on it. Ask the wife and one of my grandsons (sprain and break)
    • Has always been slippery when wet for the first few outing to the point of injuries.
    • Gotta check all the screws at least once a year
    Yea they're beautiful but not worth the hassles to me. Here's a shot of my last one after renewing, lasted about two weeks it did.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Mobius LSV

But it looks so so good! I loved the teak platform on my malibu! I agree big time pain in the ass but it has a classic look that all the ski boats had when I was a kid. Take a look at the byerly edition air natique, notice anything........ yep teak deck! If it is cool enough for scott byerly it is cool in my book

http://www.nautiques.com/photos/index/210icon