Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polk MM1040

Is the Kicker L5 a marine rated speaker? If not is it that critical that I use a marine rated sub?

MY Opinion:
    JL Audio is hard to beat. Always ran them in my vehicles and just bought a JL 12W3 for the boat. You could buy a 12W6 and still be under $250 and I doubt you'd find a speaker that would sound much better if power'd correctly.

As far as Marine Woofer? I don't think it's that important as long as you mount the sub up off the ground and away from the inadvertant spray. If it's going to be out it the open it might need to be marine certified but most installs on the forum are not.

Good luck.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Sub-woofers don't have to be Marine grade.

Marine grade dictates what will happen if ti gets wet basicaly. If your sub is gettign wet then you have some serious issues.

In order for a sub to normally get wet its going to have to be submersed in water, seeing how your sub enclosure should be air tight as well as water tight.

Amps are the same way, unless you mount them low and in track of water, they shouldn't be getting wet, if they are i think you have more serious issues then your wet amps.

As for speakers. Cabins, especially really need to be Marine rated as they will get wet from splashes and such being in an open environment.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I have no idea if it is marine rated or not. I have seen lots of boats with them since I was told about Kicker stuff. I even seen one yesterday with the sub cut into the glass behind the driver seat. (might have been in front of the seat) Anyway it was out in the open, I will see if I can find a pic of it.

They mounted it to the fiberglass right behind the seat? That would be cool looking, and yea its going to get wet there for sure. I wouldn't have thought to mount a sub there as its another open area. I can see with a free air sub it might be pretty decent there.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Well that is Freaking awesome then! That opens up the possibilities a great deal. I received the Kicker 700.5 yesterday and ordered 8 Polk DB651 speakers for the cabin and the tower cans. They are on there way!

Hybrid, That explains it, it's a Tigé RZ4. Most peeps that buy that boat end up using that useless compartment for some kind of stereo gear. I was trying to figure out how they did that on a Moomba by your description.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I couldnt remember what kind of boat it was. I took me couple hours to find it again.