Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gps units

Default gps units

maybe another stupid newbie question but ed said you need a gps unit to calibrate your speedo and perfect pass so my question is how many guys have a fixed unit on your boats and if so what all benefits do they have ?

Have a older garmenIII portable unit-works just fine for the boat
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I use a handheld Etrex. Works fine.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

at my local lakes i can't get lost they are way too small but every year we go to cumberland or norris and plan on doing a little more traveling to find nice lakes in states that border me. so that is what i want to prevent is getting lost in an unfamiliar lake. don't wanna spened 4 grand on a top of the line unit but wanna have something that can get me back to where i need to be and show me whats around. i know at lake norris i nearly beached my jet ski on a spot that out of nowhere was only a foot deep... now that i got the boat i'd hate for something like that to happen. so whatever unit i get either hand held or fixed unit i can calibrate my speed as often as i want and feel comfortable of my surroundings when cruising around to check out the scenery between sets.

hey ed who is stacy? do u recall a make or model ?

Quote Originally Posted by gus 08 mobius lsv View Post
    hey ed who is stacy? do u recall a make or model ?
    Stacy is one of the guys here. Moombadaze i think.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Gus, I'm Stacy.

this is the one i use on the boat
    http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Plus-Pe...7882706&sr=1-1

Had this for years
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I have used a garmin vista c & cx that I have used for several years boating hunting hiking driving etc. Great tracking and adequate maps for the lakes I go to, though most don't need a gps. My brother uses a garmin nuvi that he switches between car and boat etc.

Sled491 Guest

I have a handheld Garmin Legend C, works great with a ram mount. I agree though if you want to keep it permanent in your boat you need a marine version with a topo view. There are some great units out there by Lowrance and such.

thats the thing i don't really know where to begin don't know a whole lot about these units. i don't really need it for my vehicle cause with the farm i'm in so many different vehicles i wouldn't use it and with hunting i know my ground like the back of my hand so it'd just be for the boat i guess. i don't know where to begin looking for something with a topo view. what kinda price range you think sled? i don't fish so i could care less about the fish finder just something that i won't get lost on an unfamiliar lake and to calibrate my speedo and pp. if a hand held will do the trick i'm down with one of those.