Thread: Bow tie down

Default Bow tie down

Ok guys,

Another noob question.

I just bought this from WestMarine and didnt realize until I got it home that there was only one S-hook on it and the other end had 2 loops in the strap.

First problem: The distance between my bow eye and trailer loop is less than the minimum that this strap will winch on. I guess to solve this I will have to buy an attachment loop for the trailer and make the distance longer

Second problem: Whats the best thing to do with the 2 loop ends? I don't really understand why there are 2 loop ends to begin with. But should I be using an S-hook? Am I missing something? Why would they sell a tie down with only one hook?

On this topic, can anyone link me to where I can purchase a safety chain to go from bow-eye to trailer? I had one of these on my old I/O setup but they don't carry it in 2 WestMarine stores by my house. With all the reports of wench strap's snapping I am trying to get this safety equipment ASAP.

Cheers,
    Aaron
    Last edited by aaroncat; 03-01-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    2009 Outback V

Im guessing from the looks of it you would use the 2 straps to connect the A frame of the trailer, then the S goes on the bow eye and you cinch it tight.

I got this for mine. I drilled a hole threw the front frame rail and ran a bolt threw it then mounted this.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1006&r=view

I also bought the matching straps for the rear.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...J&merchID=4006
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Boat buddies are functional, but they can also be a pain. Espically when you don't have the proper ramp conditions. The biggest problem with them is they are very touchy water depth. When you don't have the trailer positioned in the correct water depth you can drive up the trailer and go completely underneath it causing a gash in the nose. Sure, you can idle up the trailer and then give it some juice when you know you are in the safe zone with the nose, but then when you give it the gas to get the boat completely up and in you will shoot a huge blast of propulsion down the ramp causing damage. Second, again if you aren't positioned properly when taking the boat off the nose can slide off and hit the underside of your rubrail. This has a tendency to pop rubrails loose. Third, if you rely on the boat buddy and not your strap the boat will slide back, put pressure on the pin which makes it impossible to get it out of the bow eye when you want to get the boat off. Again you will have to throttle the crap out of it to get the pressure off all while blowing out the ramp. Get a roller and some rear tie downs. In my opinion this is the best option. Boat buddies are great, but have some big time drawbacks in my opinion.
    Last edited by BSWAKE; 03-01-2010 at 03:17 PM.