Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Top rail protection?

I have an LSV-the local Moomba dealer here is know offering a product to prevent scrathes and dings from both the tower resting on the top rail (terrible design) and from grit on feet when getting into the boat. The product is a clear plastic like material that is 3 mills thick and is applied along the top rail and other places where dings occur. Its a scotch guard product. i was considering the seadeck material but now i am considering having them install this clear plastic on my top rail as its clear. The cost is about $300 for the entire rail plus above the transom deck. Anyone out there have any experience with this type of product?-- I live in North Dakota and its time to think about spring!

I haven't heard of it but I know you can get a lot of scratches topside.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default top rail protection

my lsv is only about 6 months old so for me another $300 on a $50k boat is quite reasonable, if it works!

How about asking the dealer for the names of customers who have had it installed? You can ask them how they like it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

First thing I did on my new boat was put Gator pad on areas inside boat as well as the areas you desscribed. I plan to buy some of this and hit the transom.

http://www.keelshield.com/transom-shield.html

Sled491 Guest

Depending on tech advances the stuff worked good, but if you damaged the film it looked like crap in a short period of time. Of course the advantage is that when you peel it off after a few years your rails should look almost new again. If the new products are more durable than the previous versions your right 300 hun on a 50k purchase is a smart move

Its 3M vinyl with a adhesive backing and its clear. You could buy a whole roll of 4x20 for $100. Look around online you see what I'm talking about.
    A lot of the PDXwake guys use it and they pay big money for it. They wanted $1000 to do the whole boat from the rubrail up. I told them to pack sand.
    Me and a buddy were talking about splitting a roll and trying it out. You get better prices if you buy bigger rolls.

PWI as usual...

Sled491 Guest

"Pack Sand"

Man you crack me up

That's all fine and dandy for the asthetics portion but what about safety? Is it slip proof? No. Does it offer any traction? No. The worst thing in the world is somebody slipping while boarding and that real nasty sound as they bust a shin bone on the gunwale top! A $50K boat isn't worth squat if your sued and you lose it
    2007 Mobius LSV

No sue happy people on my boat.
    Your right its not non slip its more for gel protection.

PWI as usual...