Thread: Board to choose

Default Board to choose

Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking for a good wakesurf board but I need it to meet a certain criteria:

1.) I want something that will fit in the stock board racks
    2.) Something I can use on a smaller wake (07 Outback DD with stock ballast and maybe a few chunky people in the corner)
    3.) Not too pricey...

I weigh about 155 lbs, so I don't think I need an outrageously huge board despite the small wake but maybe y'all know something I don't. I currently use a 5'6" actual surfboard which works just fine, the only thing is all you can really do is go in a straight line and maybe do some small cuts into the wake. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Thanks!

I think the CWB Ride and the Hyperlite Broadcast both fit in the std. racks. Most of the rest do not. Lots of us have had good success with the Broadcast-- just take off the outer two fins (leaving only the center one) and it can be a lot of fun.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I think the CWB Ride and the Hyperlite Broadcast both fit in the std. racks. Most of the rest do not. Lots of us have had good success with the Broadcast-- just take off the outer two fins (leaving only the center one) and it can be a lot of fun.
    Don't mean to be a hijacker, but why remove th outer fins on the Broadcast? What does this do?

It frees it up A LOT! Makes it way more fun. Don't get me wrong, it's fun with them on and great for learning but when you take them off it's a lot more slippery and you can just do more. I'm not the greatest surfer in the world by a long shot but I do enjoy it.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

CWB Tsunami is a great board and since you're light it should work for you well. Lots of people have learned on the Tsunami and it's fun enough you won't get bored with it like the Broadcast. I believe all the Phase 5 boards will fit the stock racks but they are more skim board style.

Sled491 Guest

My Walker Project board will fit in a standard board rack as well, and I think it is heads above the Ride and Broadcast (my opinion only). Look at the new Inland Surfer Squirt as well.

Many of the wakeboard company boards fit in racks but you'll grow out of them fast. At some point you'll need to invest and get a good board you can keep growing with.

If fitting in racks is a must, here are great boards that fit: Inland Surfer 4-skim, most Phase5 other than the XL and Razz, TWP composite. A good deal on these boards is $300-500, super hard to find cheaper.

I'm 155lbs too and had a Blue Lake that I could freeride, carve, and slash all day on small wakes. I now have a big wake and got a smaller board that fits me (P5 Drew and TWP JWSM). Brand new I think the TWP composite is a fantastic price and you can get it a shade bigger for small wakes and still rip it up maybe like a 4.7 for you. Best to call a dealer for recommendations. Used boards are always great if you can find them.

Agreed.... The broadcast is pretty easy to grow out of, but it is a great board to start with, and it does fit the standard racks. The other advantage over "custom" boards, is that you can bang the heck out of it, and it holds up much better. We have much more fun now on one of the Walzer board, but we still always bring the broadcast on all trips for people just learning, or if water conditions are pretty bad, it seems easier to stay in the pocket.

Like kaneboats said, messing with the fin configuration makes the board a lot more fun. I tried all of the combinations and ended up liking leaving the two smaller fins on the outside, and removing the big center fin.

We'll have to try that this year too.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Inland Surfer Blue lake ... very stable and fun to ride!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold