Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer Bunks WARNING

I have a 2006 lsv, great boat love it.I keep boat in boat house, I have probably used the trailer a total of four times, just to take boat to dealer for service.I was pulling boat out stepped on the carpet bunker and it moved.I pulled trailer out and all but two lag bolts were missing. Im just giving all a heads up, that could of been a bad hull scratch or hole in boat if it popped off while i was driving boat onto trailer.I found on the other bunks the lag bolts were very loose. just give a quick check before boating season

I definitely recommend a thorough trailer inspection before leaving on the first day of the season. Then, after the boat is off, take another hard look when you park it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

While harder to install (and find at the hardware store) than Lag bolts Carriage bolts work much better for securing trailer bunks. If you have to replace the Lags might want to consider Carriage bolts instead.

Sled491 Guest

Good catch, I as well almost never use my trailer, I'm gonna give this a look. Corey is right as well, carriage bolts are a better choice, they have a rounded head from the top and let you bolt into place as opposed to counting on the bunk itself to hold the lag.

They loosen up often so I put on lock washers that seem to help.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Sled491 View Post
    Good catch, I as well almost never use my trailer, I'm gonna give this a look. Corey is right as well, carriage bolts are a better choice, they have a rounded head from the top and let you bolt into place as opposed to counting on the bunk itself to hold the lag.
    i caught this on my trailer a few weeks ago when i was doing some cleanin as well. so what your say in is drill a hole all the way thru then counter sink the round head so its below the surface or take the carpet off or what exactly did ya do sled?

Filling the holes with silicone and reinstalling them keeps them in place as well as seals the hole frome water penetration which can lead to rot.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Filling the holes with silicone and reinstalling them keeps them in place as well as seals the hole frome water penetration which can lead to rot.
    cheaper and less hectic i'll go that route and keep an eye on them to see if they stay put. any special kind of silicone u use?
    thanks razz

I've always just used regular clear silicone however there may be something better that's more waterproof and weather resistant.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Get some gutter seal if you can get it. Works great for stuff like that and stays flexible even when it gets real cold.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!