Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Depth Gauge Temp install.

This is how i installed the Hawk-eye Water Depth / Water Temperature / Air Temperature gauge.

Unit http://www.hawkeyeelectronics.com/pr.../overview.htm#

This unit requires you to drill a hole in the hull of the boat because it has a water temperature feature. The sending unit is a 2inch unit that has to be installed from the bottom of the hull into your boat.

These are the steps and pictures for my install.

First and foremost, wear safety glasses, and cover as much of your body as possible as drilling threw the bottom of the boat will create lots of fine fiberglass particles and it will be all over you.

Locate where in the boat you want to mount the sending unit. It needs to be in an area where there isn't water turbulence. I chose in-front of the paddle wheel for the speedometer.

You need to be sure where in the engine compartment you want the sending unit to sit. I needs to be flat to it can seal to the boat. Make sure you measure inside the boat and under the outer hull, pay attention to the lines of the hull as there are curves, and angles in the outer fiberglass that you cannot see inside the engine compartment.

I made a little template out of a extra Ace envelope i had. I cut a curve shaped to fit the paddle wheel unit and then traced the Hawk-eye unit to it so i could see the distance they would be apart.

Then i was able to take it and tape it to the bottom of the boat for my cutting.

I applied 3 layers of blue painters tape to the Gell coat side of the boat. I then taped my template into place.

Drilling.

1 after your completely sure everything is lined up and where you want it, check it all again.

2. Always remember to drill threw the Gell coat in reverse. Once your are threw the gell and into the fiber glass you can put the drill in forward.

3. I drilled a very small pilot hole threw my template and threw the boat. Then i was able to really check my alignments before my final hole.

4. I drilled a 2inch diameter hole with a hole saw bit. 3/4 way threw from the bottom and then i went into the engine bay and drilled the last part from there. I wanted to make sure the cuts were smooth on both sides and no chipping would occur.

5. Removed all the tape, inspected the gell coat, no chips.

6. Installed the new sending unit and tightened it down as specified.

The unit comes with a really thick rubber seal gasket. I did not use any sealing agents as of yet. I will look into this and see if i need to. I am weary as to making a finally seal with the threaded unit until its in the water and i know it all works properly.

As for the gauge install, it fits the factory openings, i routed the cable from the sending unit to the dash and plugged everything in. I used the factory depth gauge power and ground from the main harness.

Picture 1 final dash display
    Picture 2 Template in place before drilling
    Picture 3 Started Drilling
    Picture 4 Hole finished
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mmandley; 02-24-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Picture 5 another angle of the hole.

Picture 6 View of the sending unit in the engine compartment. Factory Paddle wheel just to the left of the new unit. Looking at the 5o'clock position you can see the factory threw hull depth gauge.

Picture 7Close up view of the new sending unit and the paddle wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mmandley; 02-23-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mcdye View Post
    Sweet write. Alot braver then I .

This got me thinking were is the water temp sensor for factory installs? It displays on my PP.
    There is a temp sensor built into the paddle wheel.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

this looks sweet
    http://www.myboatsgear.com/mbg/product.asp?prodID=1699

but this is what i have, and i believe are on the boats
    http://airmartechnology.com/uploads/...res/DST800.pdf
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 02-24-2010 at 10:38 AM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Mike, was there a retrofit that you could havejust done on the speed sensor, so you would not have had to drill another hole? I suppose a new gauge and wiring still would be needed
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

No there wasnt. The problem is if you dont have Perfect Pass or Stargazer there is no way to read the temp from the paddle wheel sensor. The Depth gauge from SC is a stand alone unit they add if you dont have PP.

I could have got a Depth only sensor and it would be a threw hull type like we have currently. In order to have anything read water temp it has to have some kind of contact point with water.

This was the most economic way to go. The 3 way your speak about needs a display system still. Its designed to interface with a Laptop or Garmin fishing equipment.

AIRMAR DST800 Smart Sensor. Provides depth, temperature and speed readings. Thru-hull. NMEA 0183 connection. This sensor provides data directly to Garmin's digital marine instrument display (GMI 10) or chart-plotters.

Then i would have to add more gear and cost around 400 to 500. At that point i might as well suck it up and by PP. Im not saying im happy i had to drill hole in my hull because im not. It is the most economical way to get temp readings for not having PP. If i upgrade to PP then i will have to look into getting this hole patched, or just leave the sensor in place.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Hey Gus thanks for the props on the install.

Let me say again im not happy i had to drill the hole, but im glad i have the confidence in my measurements to get it right.

No i don't have PP, wish i did but they wanted 1K at the dealer and i just didnt have it left in my loan, i got my loan for a little over my deal price but i spent the money on the Z5, sub, duel batteries.

Course now i see i should have only got the Z5 lol. I could have done the duel batteries and sub myself. I was very intimidated at working on the boat at first. It took a few months tinkering around and snooping and looking to realize its a lot like a car. It really is, some differences but very similar. After that realization i haven't looked back when it comes to taking things apart and making them the way i want.

Shouldn't be to hard to get this thing sealed up, it came with a realy thick soft rubber seal for the under hull transducer side. Its threaded in the boat, so just crank the threads down more. I will check her real good the first time shes in the water before she leaves the trailer, then several times when we go out. I don't think it will leak but if it does then ill Epoxy that B***H in lol.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

You guys certainly have some cajones. I would think that the gasket they give ya would seal just fine, as long as you had things tightened down.

I've got a side question for you guys, and not to hijack the thread, but it's along the same lines. I've got the standard SC depth gauge, as well as PP on my 08 LSV. I have heard about how PP gives you the ability for water temp. I've read it in the manual also, but I haven't been able to figure out how the heck to show the temp on the display. You guys know any tricks.

Nice work again on the install - now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

All i know about the PP is it gets its reading from the Paddle Wheel right by the Depth gauge in the V area. As for making it work on the display i have no idea.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Sled491 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by squeeg333 View Post
    You guys certainly have some cajones. I would think that the gasket they give ya would seal just fine, as long as you had things tightened down.

I've got a side question for you guys, and not to hijack the thread, but it's along the same lines. I've got the standard SC depth gauge, as well as PP on my 08 LSV. I have heard about how PP gives you the ability for water temp. I've read it in the manual also, but I haven't been able to figure out how the heck to show the temp on the display. You guys know any tricks.

Nice work again on the install - now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    The problem with the PP temp is that you have to give up other readings. I believe you go to settings and then work your way down the menu. It works as an air sensor when the boat is on the trailer/lift as well