Default Depth Guage issues

When I first turn the boat on, it comes up 000. After a few seconds, I get this... ---. Three dashes, nothing else. Ideas?

Default Replying to Topic 'Depth Guage issues'

Did you just install it? Where is your transducer mounted?
    YOu are in the water when this is happening, right?
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

Sounds like a tranducer problem. How is your transducer mounted? Check my suggestions posted on the following depth Finder link.
    http://www.moomba.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=932

Thanks guys. Yea Bruce, I am in the water. BTW, great product you are putting out there. Works perfectly and makes it a breaze to lower the tower w'out worrying about the gelcoat. On to my depth gauge. Forgive me for being less than technical, but I am not mechanical like you guys, thus my need for your expertise. I bought the boat used, but I am assuming the gauge was factory installed. The electronic box that says Norcross on it is mounted toward the rear of the port side engine compartment. I believe when you refer to the transducer you are reffering to the other piece, the small disc like object. It seems to be glued/epoxied to the front starboard side of the engine compartment, almost directly adjacent to the drain plug. Hope this helps with some suggestions.

Mine goes to three dashes when I am in less than 2.5 feet of water, could that be the cause?

Thanks for the plug on the RackJack, They are nice.

On to the dF, You say you bought the boat used and it "looks" like a factory install. Does the gauge face match the other guage faces? Has the DF ever worked for you?The disk piece would be the transducer, I am not really sure about the other "box" you are talking about.

My DF is just the transducer witha wire going directly to the guage. If it is a bad guage or transducer you are probably better off buying a new DF. If that is the case I have used clear marine silicone to mount transducers.

As for blinking when in shallow H2O I think all DF's do that, I know every one I have encountered has.

keep us posted.
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

If it read fine in deeper water and you just get this in shallow water, then it may be that the signal is echoing off the bottom of the boat. This would be highly likely while the boat is sitting over the concrete launch ramp or a shallow rock bottom. Some depth finders used on bass boats multiple false bottom readings in these situations. If your gauge is like mine, the digital unit may not be able to handle the multiple echoes correctly.

Thanks AJones. You sound like you know a lot about this. What is the piece I have mounted to the deck that says "Norcross" on it? It has wires coming out of it that lead to the transducer, but not sure what that box is for? To answer you ?, I get no reading. Was in 30+ feet of water this weekend, and still ---.

Looks like you have a wireless tranducer. Most of my knowledge is for Hummingbird and Lowrance depth finders so when you said you had a box that the transducer was attached to the only thing I could think of was a switch to use 2 depth finders and 1 transducer. Bass fishermen sometimes do this to avoid mounting another transducer when they have both an indash unit and a chart unit on the dash.

I was wrong about the switch. I did a search on NorCross and learned something new. Its been a while since I been into the tournament fishing screen. NorCross makes a wireless transducer option for depth finders so that you avoid the hassle of fishing the transducer cable all the way up to the indash unit. Check the attached link to see if this describes your unit. If so, you may be able to trouble shoot your problem on their site or contact customer service.

http://shop.norcrossmarine.com/index...dID=8&HS=1

If you scroll down on the above webpage, you will see more pictures of the units and a link to download the manual as a PDF file. I hope this helps you out.

Link