Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boat anchor

Default boat anchor

Was aondering what anchor you guys may suggest for me here in Alberta. We have very small lakes and the deepest i'll go to is 45 ft deep. the wind and waves do kick up here.
    I was thinking of something with a plastic or rubber coating as to not bang the heck out of the boat.

Anchor style depends on what kind of bottom the lake has. Also have length of chain is attached to the anchor can be very important also.

Personally I carry 3 different anchors on my boat at all times. Small river anchor and a small danforth style with about 15 ft rope- works just fine for the shallow florida lakes. When we hit the deeper lakes I have a much larger danforth with lots of rope-only get to use this one when we hit the larger lakes up in georgia.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I really don't think you can go wrong with a Danforth. They seem to do well in most conditions. I've heard really good things about the box anchors too, but I don't think those come with the plastisol coating, and can get pretty big. I haven't picked mine up yet, but I'll probably go with a 8 or 11 lb Danforth. If you have one of those, in conjunction with a grapple on the beach (if you're anchoring near the beach), I doubt you'll go anywhere.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

I use a small box anchor with 5 feet of chain. One stop drop and it hooks up every single time. Only problem is un-burying the SOB.
    2009 Moomba Mobius XLV: 340hp, bimini top, Kenwood speaker system with sub.

Smile

I'm not sure of the name/type i use it looks like an Octupus and folds up but make sure you get one rated for the weight of your boat and definetely afew feet of CHAIN on the rope just before the anchor. I bought mine from a sailing store and had some of this explained to me. There are several good anchors just get the right size/weight and proper chain/rope to go with it. I use mine under a variety of conditions and depths and it works well.

What is the reason for the length of chain? I have always tied the rope to the anchor and done fine. I have to get a new one though because some punk stole my anchor and tube it was tied to while we were surfing just out of the cove last season.

Quote Originally Posted by mstovie View Post
    What is the reason for the length of chain?
    it hurts more when you beat the punk that stole your tube

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    it hurts more when you beat the punk that stole your tube

lol---love it
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I don't anchor a ton but a 28lb Navy Anchor has always done the trick. You can get them vynel dipped.

seems to me I wont need a chain, ill runover the persons that steel it if that were to happen, I imagine a boat could knock out alot of teeth out.
    I think the navy anchor would work well here