Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sled has some valid points.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

All, thanks for all the input I really appreciate it. The lake that we generally go to is about 2 hours away. It is on the Tennessee River and is a pretty large lake and it can get pretty rough out there. there are some closer smaller ones. either way I wuld be trailering it each time unless I get in with a place at the larger lake and store it there. My local dealer here is offering me a great price on a hold over '08 OBV that is fully loaded. I saw it at the local Boat show this weekend. Right when I think I made up my mind he calls and sends my head spinning around. Basically its about price at this point. Do I want to go with a used boat that is MUCH cheaper and only a year older but has 400+ hours or do I want to go with a new one with a full 4 year warranty and v-Drive which is more of what I would like to have. Tough call....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    "which is more of what I would like to have".

Go with your heart and 1st instinct.

Go V.

Wife and wallet says to go with the cheaper one since it's our first boat then in 5 years when the kids are older upgrade to a bigger one.

Heart and first instinct says go V.

Think about the price difference and the hours on the older boat could equal problems = less time on the water. if the differnce is say 15k then is a tough decision. if is 5k you have your original answer..... my .02
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by E4NASH View Post
    Wife and wallet says to go with the cheaper one since it's our first boat then in 5 years when the kids are older upgrade to a bigger one.

Heart and first instinct says go V.
    NASH - you won't be able to wait 5 yrs. trust me. I bought my '08 OBV new and am already looking to upgrade.

JV is also dead on that you have a better chance spending more repairing the older boat versus what you think you're going to save.

GO WITH THE NEW BOAT!

All over TEXAS west of I45! Living in Big Spring Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    I got $1 that says two years from now, you'll be wishing you had purchased the V
    Ed has a point. You don't want to find yourself wanting/needing more boat in just two years. But, on the flip side you don't want to have more boat then you needed sitting on the side of the house never getting used. I would say that if you are going to use the boat a lot and plan to get your money worth out of it ... then go big and get a V.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
    Yes, I will be a Marine until the day that I die.

Quote Originally Posted by E4NASH View Post
    NASH - sorry, I should have thought to provide this advice sooner.

when I approached my wife about getting a new boat, they key to getting her to say, "Do it!" was to mention how awful it would be to have a breakdown in the middle of the lake with the kids (they were 6 months, 6 yrs & 8 yrs old) and nobody around to help us out. The old I/O had to be towed in a few times, so it was a real easy deal to close.

Good luck!

Default Direct Drive

I just finished putting in an impeller, cap, rotor, greased the steering linkage and rudder. Took no time at all. Thats what I like about the direct drive. Sat on the floor for most of it.

We own a 2008 DD Outback that we use quite a bit for both slalom and wakeboarding that we bought new. It was always my dream to have a DD for skiing, and my son (co-owner) started out with a passion for wakeboarding. (I had never been on a wakeboard at that point.)

Anyway, we both absolutely LOVE our DD Outback. He now spends more time on a ski while I find myself on the wakeboard about half of the time.

We did purchase a larger ballast bag for wakeboarding, but for skiing there is nothing better than a DD. Also, the handling is unsurpassed. Those are the best points.

You do give up some storage and room and the low freeboard means the occasional water over the bow, but I wouldn't trade my Outback for anything at this point. We have about 200 hours put on over two seasons. For us, we rarely have more than a few people on board, so the room issue is not a big one for us. With four on board and one being towed, everyone is comfortable.

We just went to the boat show and again, left convinced that we not only made the right choice, but also see no need to trade up. Sure...the room would be nice but after driving several V-drives, including a few Supra's, a Supreme and several others, I can tell you that none of them come close to handling as well as our DD Outback. The only thing that really caught our eye at this years show was the new closed-bow DD Supreme, but at 50k+, we'll pass.

Picture the DD Outback as the Corvette, while the V-drive is the Camaro.

Anyway, buy as much boat as you can afford that best suits your needs, but be sure to DRIVE any boat before you buy it, because there is a major differance among the manufacturers and some of the neat looking boats are real tanks.

Bashton
    Last edited by bashton; 02-22-2010 at 10:02 PM.

With only the Standard Ballast bag in the rear how is the wake size with the direct drive? Obviously if it is not filled its gonna be pretty flat but whe filled is it decent? We don't do much wakeboarding like I said I just started last year but it would be great to get better and do a few things. We like to tube and kneeboard though. However I would like to try wake Surfing and imagine I would need an additional bag with a direct drive.