11 73.33%
  • Maxxis Tire

1 6.67%
  • Carlisle Tire

0 0%
  • Other

3 20.00%

Hybrid View

Default Trailer Tires...what is under your boat?

I am making the pliunge for new tires on my 02 single axle BoatMate trailer. Currently it has Goodyear Marathon 225/75/15 Load D range on it and will need to stay the same size and load range. I have been searching and seeing mix reviews on just about all trailer tires.

What are you running and any comments about them?

Do you have your wheels balanced?
    Last edited by mcdye; 02-19-2010 at 04:22 PM.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

I'll say this from experience, they are all about the same. I have yet to find a benefit from one brand to another when you have D rated tires. I have marathons as well currently and they don't seem to be any better than the house brand i put on my last trailer. All tires are prone to failure especially since there are too many variables to consider, road hazards, user error, axle camber, etc. Take care of them and they all last decently imo.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Make sure that you get a (ST) trailer specific tire and not just a D rated tire.

I have had several different boat trailers with several different brands. I could not tell any difference in brands. Old tires are prone to problems. It would all come down to price and ease of getting the tires IMO.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I got mine from Les Schwab that have a lot of stores out west. They prorate tire replacement based on tread depth regardless of how old they are. I've got some free tires as the boat and the RV tires tend to fail from age and sun damage rather than from using them.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

second zabooda. les schwab ftw, but doesn't help anyone in the midwest or east...
    my trailer came from the factory with marathons and they were dead last summer, only 3 years worth of use and had maybe 4000 miles on them. kind of bad for tires always stored in a garage.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I would say stay away from the Marathon tires. I have had one go flat on me and several other fisherman have had blowouts as well. They do not have a very good reputation on other fishing forums around the net. Just my .02