Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cleaning Flame Arrestor

I was curious what you guys did for cleaning the flame arrestor? I didn't do it prior to putting my baby away for the winter, but wanted to start out with a clean flame arrestor this year. You guys just use carb cleaner or brake cleaner or something, then hose it off and let it dry??

I'm also curious, when you guys take them off, are they pretty tough to remove? I had a hell of a time getting mine off, even with the hose clamp completely loose.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Yep, carb cleaner here. They are stuck on there pretty good, and get hung up on the risers for the engine cover.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeg333 View Post
    I had a hell of a time getting mine off, even with the hose clamp completely loose.
    squeeg - How did you finally get the flame arrestor off? Try as I might, for the life of me I could not get it off of the 325 EFI in my '07 Outback. Yes, I took the hose clamp off. Short of taking a sledge hammer to it, I think the flame arrestor is there to stay. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Assuming it's the same as my 08 LSV, it's just pinched on, albeit very tightly. With some twisting and a few taps from a rubber mallet I was able to convince mine to come off. You should be able to see grooves around the base that with some gentle prying should break it loose if nothing else. Also make sure it's not getting hung up on those risers... you definitely have to come straight up with it.

Deerfield - I finally was able to get it off. But I was doing it with the boat on the trailer, in the water, running (so I could spray fogging oil in the intake). My wife, and a buddy were sitting there, waiting, for what seemed like 10 minutes. God is was frustrating, and embarrasing.
    I figured that it would easily slide off, and if not, not take too much to get it off. I think I ended up using a screw driver and somewhat pryed it off. Didn't damage anything, but I think like Brain_rinse said, nothing a rubber mallet couldn't handle.

I understand them neededing these "flame tight", but damn!!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Just an FYI on all EFI engines, the item your calling a flame arrestor isnt that at all. Only Carb engines have a flame arrestor. Its a glorified air filter now. Not sure if it even needs to be removed if your running EFI.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Just an FYI on all EFI engines, the item your calling a flame arrestor isnt that at all. Only Carb engines have a flame arrestor. Its a glorified air filter now. Not sure if it even needs to be removed if your running EFI.
    It's still a flame arrestor, check your manual. And it needs to be cleaned as part of scheduled maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    It's still a flame arrestor, check your manual. And it needs to be cleaned as part of scheduled maintenance.
    I'll take your word on this, i dont recall hearing anything about this needing service as its a fuel injected engine. I will look into it more though, i know on my yearly Sheriff inspection they dont care to see it after i tell them my engine is fuel injected, they only need it there if its a Carb engine.

If its cleanable ill be pulling it off and doing the clean thats for sure.

Thanks Brain
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mine comes off with a Hex bolt thru the top. I remove it and spray it with Wurth brake dust remover.....this crap cleans anything and dries off in a matter of seconds.

Once you've broken it loose once it's really quick and easy to clean. The maintenance schedule says to clean it every 100 hours.

From the Indmar manual: Your engine is equipped with a U.S. Coast Guard approved flame arrestor. Its purpose is to contain any backfire that may occur during operation of your engine. Because an inboard engine is completely enclosed, an uncontained backfire can be extremely dangerous. Periodically inspect flame arrestor to prevent clogging by dirt or corrosion. The metal flame arrestor is cleaned using a mild part washing solvent. Using solvent, clean the flame arrestor thoroughly and blow dry. The metal flame arrestor must be completely dry before it is returned to the engine.