Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Standard Features

What is the deal with the new standard features? Why on earth would a slalom skier want the cage on his boat? It ruins the look, and throws all skiers into the wakeboarder group.

I was looking at buying a '10 or an '11 model, but will not if I cannot get rid of the ugly cage.
    I have had nothing but good luck (with proper maintenance) on my '99 Outback LS. -700 hours- I would never buy a Moomba with a tower or cage or whatever you call it.

On my lake wakeboarders are a menace, just like tubers are. If one of them could actually wakeboard maybe I'd feel differently. All they do is create huge wakes and fall 10 times a run.
    Looks like so much fun.

Sorry if this annoys the boarders here.

When I ski, I'm around the lake in under 5 minutes with 4-6 sets of 6-8 cuts or more depending on how I'm feeling. I ski short line at 36 and when I'm done, the next skier can get great water in about 3 minutes. A boarder goes out and chums up the lake for 15 minutes and ruins conditions for another 15 minutes.

Don't get me started on jet skis. We almost banned them the past few years. The lake is 190 acres, too small for safe operation. It will take a fatality to change the law.

I share the lake with those that are respectful of others. I am aware of other users, and other skiers are as well. Tubers, boarders and jet skiers are not. 99% of the time they don't care what they do.

Having said that, I skied over 300 times last year and of those runs, 275 were on good water.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Never mind.

In closing, I'll repeat, I will never buy a Moomba with a tower or cage. Never.

Having a bad day? Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

You know you could always order one without the tower or "cage". Sharing the lake is a fact of life for all on the water we all have to deal with and not worth worrying about.

Now your day can get better.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBoy View Post
    Why on earth would a slalom skier want the cage on his boat?
    SkiBoy - I will tell you why. I'm a slalom skier. That's what I grew up doing and the one thing I love to do behind my Outback. In fact, bought mine as a replacement to a Nautique. That said, I have three sons, two of whom wanted to learn how to wakeboard. Easier to do from a tower. So, in the Moomba line up the perfect boat for my family is: Outback w/ tower. It has been a real joy for them, their friends, their mother, and me. Lots of good reasons to put a cage on a boat. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I grew up a (bad) skier too. Finally got an inboard boat and the first thing I did was put a tower on it. I learned to wakeboard right before I got the Outback and then learned to surf too. All 6 of the kids can do what they love behind it, whether it's kneeboard, ski, tube, surf, or wakeboard. Maybe you are the only one that uses your boat and that's fine-- order one without it. But, if you want to share, it doesn't hurt to have an open mind.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Is that you, Grandpa?! You forgot wakesurfers in your rant too.

What is the deal with the new standard features? Why on earth would a slalom skier want the cage on his boat? It ruins the look, and throws all skiers into the wakeboarder group.
    I have to agree with you there. But as long as they allow you to order without the tower than that's fine.

As far as the water, I hear ya there too. Nothing bothers me more than a couple of arrogant people who have no idea that we prefer smooth water. I wakeskate, but I try and be very respectable to others in inboards weather they be skiing or boarding. I can usually tell right away if someone in a inboard boat is a serious skier/boarder or if it's just a wealthy family that doesn't know anything about lake etiquette. Now, if you are tubing behind an IO I hate you.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Its all about lake etiquette, Pure and simple. Doesnt matter what you are towing behind the boat.

Just order your new outback without a tower and enjoy
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    I like tubing! I think it's a lot of fun getting whipped around.
    I agree Ed! I used to think that way until I tried it myself and i will say it's a hoot when the right person is driving!

We do it all behind our boat, boarding, surfing & tubing but no skiing as nobodies interested in it. It's a dying sport on the west coast, rarely see anyone skiing anymore here. That being said we're also respectfull of everyone but there's nothing you can do about those that aren't except watch out for them and possibly politely educate them if given the opportunity.

It's hilarious because every year on WakeWorld there's a big flap over these same issues and it'll go over 100 posts with people fighting and argueing. Kills me as it's not even worth hasseling about. But some people just don't get that boarding is not the end all of watersports and they have no more rights than the next tuber, surfer or jet skier. Oh well they can let the stress get to them ...
    2007 Mobius LSV

I don't care what you're pulling as long as you use some lake etiquette. Meaning no unnecessary power turns, and drive straight.

Tubing is fun to get air, so go where it's choppy away from others that want smooth water. Majority of jet skiiers just are not safe. I could go on but it's the drivers.

SC should let you order a boat without tower and get $$$ credit for it. Having it part of the mobius package is ok.

Sorry, but towers are great. In fact, I can't see a reason to NOT get one.

First, the tower is a great place to mount board/ski racks. Since my boat always carries 6 skis, it is nice to have the added storage. Also, many people like mounting speakers and lights up there.
    Second, the tower mounted bimini is much higher and allows more headroom in the boat.
    Third, towers are great for other sports, barefooting, boarding and surfing.

Towers don't limit anything that your boat can do; not having a tower does hamper your ability to do other sports well. I find it difficult to find enough people to ski, so there are a lot more boarders that fill my boat. Another good point that you made, I can only ski for 10 minutes til I'm tired. I can board for an hour. It fills up my time on the water.
    Last edited by maxpower220; 02-17-2010 at 06:24 PM.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier