Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Can't speak for the Monster unit Ian but the Z5 stays up, you don't remove it for towing.
    2007 Mobius LSV

The manual specifies a 45 MPH limit when trailering. I guess I'll have to install some internal rings for a tie-down strap to attach in the boat's interior.

I find that the rear supports are too long. In order to make anything like the intended placement, the rack will be much lower than the original bimini (creating similar bang-your-head problems as if I had tower speakers) and too far back to accommodate much of an inflated tube. It looks like I'll have to cut the rear supports to have comparable position and height as the original bimini. Do any other owners have alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    I find that the rear supports are too long. In order to make anything like the intended placement, the rack will be much lower than the original bimini (creating similar bang-your-head problems as if I had tower speakers) and too far back to accommodate much of an inflated tube. It looks like I'll have to cut the rear supports to have comparable position and height as the original bimini. Do any other owners have alternatives?
    Ian,

Did you notice the rear supports are adjustable for 3 positions by pushing in the spring button? Also, you should be able to move the mounting position of the rear supports toward the middle of the tower and this will effectively shorten them/raise the back end of the tower.

You can move the bimini positton forward or back by changing either 1) where you mount on the front tower legs (lower = forward) which I don't think is as good of a solution as 2) moving the crossbars on the bimini frame to a different position. I did not mount the front crossbar where the instructions stated as it left the bimini farther forward than I wanted.

BTW - I have the forward folding rad-a-cage tower on my '08 OBV and could not get a fully inflated tube squeezed between the bimini and tower. I had to let a bit of air out.

Hope this helps. Send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    The manual specifies a 45 MPH limit when trailering.
    I think I saw a warning label on Zegm's Z5 that the max towing speed was 45 too. The 2 companies probably used the same lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Ian,

Did you notice the rear supports are adjustable for 3 positions by pushing in the spring button?
    Yes. Even at the shortest setting, they are about 30% too long for a good fit.

Also, you should be able to move the mounting position of the rear supports toward the middle of the tower and this will effectively shorten them/raise the back end of the tower.
    Yes, and the instruction manual indicates to angle them a bit for stability. However, to make it fit at the desired height, I would have to angle them at at least 45 degrees, which will put an unintended shearing force on the attachments and a compressive force on the frame all of the time. I have attached some pictures of our various attempts to find a good fit. Oops -- my friend was holding it upside down, but I think that the pictures convey the right message about the length. I simply put the new bimini on top of the old one while we experimented.

You can move the bimini positton forward or back by changing either 1) where you mount on the front tower legs (lower = forward) which I don't think is as good of a solution as 2) moving the crossbars on the bimini frame to a different position.
    In my case, it looks like there is quite sufficient adjustment available for the front mounts to do what I want. It is just the rear ones that are a problem.

BTW - I have the forward folding rad-a-cage tower on my '08 OBV and could not get a fully inflated tube squeezed between the bimini and tower. I had to let a bit of air out.
    I have the rear-folding model sold with the XLV. It is of very similar design as the typical model shown in the installation diagrams. However, even from those diagrams, at least the rear 1/3 of the rack is lost as inflateable tube storage due to the position of the tower's horizontal tubing. My guess is that only kid-sized inflateables were intended here.

Hope this helps. Send me a PM if you have any other questions.
    Drew
    Thanks very much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ian - the second pic looks just about how I mounted mine with the bracket on the bimini frame closer to the side (vs the rear of the frame) and on the back of the rear tower tube. I had to rotate the bracket on the frame so that it releases correctly. See pic below where I have tried to show how it is angled on the frame.

I'd guess mine are mounted close to 45 degrees, and haven't noticed that this is an issue.

Thanks for all of these pictures and feedback. I have scarcely been anywhere near the lake for a few weeks, and now it looks like my season is about over. So, I haven't gotten to finish the job and enjoy my Monster rack at all. It is still sitting, assembled but not installed, right in my little-used living room. Maybe I'll get to do use once before winterising.

Nice write-up!!
    Anybody installed one of these racks with tower speakers on the rad-a-cage? Enough clearance? How are the support poles mounted to ensure enough clearance for the tower cans?
    Thanks!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

'05 Supra 21V Launch

I see there is a new lower price of $599 for the cargo rack at Monster towers. Decent price.........does anyone know offhand if I need the Small or Medium for an OUTBACK rad-a-cage 1 5/8 tower?

I'll go measure but thought someone might already have it?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet