Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

be careful with boards with no boots. I thought there was no way my board (with boots on) would fall out of my monster rack and so I didn't bother securing it with the cord most of the time. I was right all summer. Then late fall, one of the last rides of the season, I looked up just in time to see it coming out. My son was sitting in the rear bench and I jumped up just in time to keep it from falling on his head. Slammed into the side of the boat pretty hard, but no harm done surprisingly.

It was lazy and stupid of me and I won't make that mistake again. I guess it might never happen again in 10 years but if you hit a wake just right, or who knows what, it just isn't worth it. Especially if you have people sitting in the boat behind the storage point. Although I feel stupid for posting this, I'm hoping somebody who occasionally does the same thing might read this and maybe I'll save you a similar experience.

Ditto to always using the cords. Two years ago a friend's daughter (11 years old) did not get out of the way and the end result broken nose, stitches and a lot of blood. He felt like a horrible. he always makes the time to put the boards in correctly and takes the time to use the cords, so do I.

Don't worry -- I am quite finicky when it comes to safely securing things. The time that I almost lost a board on the wakeboard racks was based on the faulty conclusion that the rubber liner in them would provide plenty of friction when held in place by the elastic cord. Either the shaking jiggled them loose over an hour or so, or the friction failed when getting wet. Of course, simply screwing one of my shallower spare binding screws into a hole ahead of the rack would have fixed it just fine.

If I get this cargo rack, I might just fashion my own strap with an elastic netting on the back. This would mostly envelope any bootless wakeboards, boards, plus kneeboards and any future wakesurf boards.

Thanks again for the answers on the rack!

Default Got it installed! LOVE IT!

OK, some of you may have seen that 1LOKMOOMBA (aka Danny) put my OEM bimini on his ride this past weekend. Looks sweet and I couldn't be happier how it all worked out. Especially since it got me motivated to finally finish up the install of the Monster Cargo Rack I bought last season.

First, for those that are looking at the Z5, take a look at the Monster Cargo Rack. It's $700 vs the $1,500 - $2,000 that the dealers have been quoting. I've checked out the Z5 as I wanted one bad after being on zegm's boat and saw how it worked. I tried and tried to find a way to get one to work on the rad-a-cage, but struck out. The Z5 does look better, attaches with clamps vs screwing into the tower and may be a bit larger (?), but I think if the functionality is why you want the Z5, then the Monster Cargo should be something you consider.

So, the install wasn't all that bad. I figured if you guys were drilling big ole' holes in the bottom of your boats, I could put a few screws into the tower. Worst case, I mess it all up and then just go get the Z5 - on a new XLV!

I didn't take pics during the install, but following are some pics of it on the boat.

locked in place & ready to go

pivoted down

popped it out of the brackets and put it away safe & sound untill next weekend

Looks great. I, too, bought one last year and have not installed it yet. But today, given the great weather, I decided to go ahead and put it together as far as I could without having the boat handy. I am also impressed with the quality. Mine is the smaller version because my monster tower mt2 gets narrower at the top than the rad-a-cage, and that is all tht would fit on it. I hope mine looks as good as yours!

Drew, that looks great and looks like its a little longer=more shade than the original bimini. Can you store a board on top like the Z5

how did the backup camera work for you?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Daze,

Yes, I believe that it will provide more coverage than the OEM and with a 1 yr old, that made selling it to the wife a bit easier.

It is like the Z5 in terms of storing boards on the top. I believe one difference between the two is that the cross pieces on the Z5 are over the top of the bimini canvas while they are underneath the Monster Cargo canvas. It might be hard to see in the pics, but there are bungees that run across that you would put the boards under to secure to the top. There is also a "X" shaped piece of neoprene that has 4 bungee cords that you can use to hold a tube up on the top. I'll load it up next weekend and post some more pics.

Backup camera worked perfect! Thanks for letting me know these existed.

Wolfeman, Looks great glad you got it installed. Now you got me wanting to go get the backup camera, but I'll get the kids to tell me when I'm lined up.
    We like to MOOMBA MOOMBA!

I finally got a Monster Tower Cargo Rack and assembled it today. I'll have a neighbour help install it tomorrow morning before heading to the lake. One issue: how do you safely stow it for trailering? It's too big to fit in my truck, and I do not see a safe way to secure it inside the boat.