Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ballast pumps

Default Pictures of the system

You will three of this set-up

Here is the first one

Here is a picture of two scuppers Notice that I cut the cups off the scuppers. This eliminated the water being forced into the system.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Quote Originally Posted by tazz3069 View Post
    You will three of this set-up

Here is the first one

Here is a picture of two scuppers
    Wow, that takes some cajones to tap into the hull like that. I wonder if my dealer has experience with that or would be willing to. I'm usually not a warranty worry wart but damn, that takes commitment.

Vented Loop

Vented loop installed This needs to be as close to the bag and as high as it can go.

I hope this give you an idea of what the system should look like correctly. I am so glad that I did this. I really hated the sprinkler valve system. It took for ever to fill the bags.
    Tazz
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings

The pics paint a much better picture of the new system. Simple in theory, just takes some time and commitment. Thanks again.

The tools I used goes as follow
    1" carbide hole saw Home Depot.
    18V Dewalt cordless drill
    lots of beer ( when job was done of course)
    The carbide hole saw kept the gel coat from craking. It was like a hot knife through butter.
    Remember, Measure 10 times and drill once.

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    The pics paint a much better picture of the new system. Simple in theory, just takes some time and commitment. Thanks again.
    Glad I could help you out. If they have a problem or do not understand, drop me a line. I will be more than happy to walk them through it. Or just show them this link.

Unhappy

Great writeup Tazz.

I'm looking to add an extra fill line to one of my bags that has an extra fill port and keep my stock 3 sprinkler valve setup. I hate the sprinkler valves but it works slow.

I have a Centurion with Enzo sac so I can't help most of you out, but similar enough. I already have the tsunami 1200 for manual fills. My G3 system has a single ballast puppy, sprinkler valves, 3 seperate drain Mayfair 1000gph pumps (3/4"), and vented bags. I also picked up a Mayfair 1200 pump but found out it's not 3/4" out so gotta upsize my lines if I use it.

Scared about drilling in the hull

Quote Originally Posted by sailing217 View Post
    Great writeup Tazz.

Scared about drilling in the hull
    Do not be scared. Just make sure when you do drill, measure and remeasure again. When I was sure were I wanted to drill, I drilled a very small pilot hole just to make sure that is were I want the hole. I figured that if it was in the wrong spot, it would be easier to fill a very small hole than a very big hole. Definitely use the carbide hole saw. It really works great. I also used blue painters tape just to make sure. I completely cover the area that I wanted to drill. It worked awesome. the other two holes went even easier. Good luck with the mod and let us know how it went.

You Da Man--

Did you ever get your ballast system taken care of. Please let me know how it turned out.

Tazz

tazz,

It's not the drilling I'd be afraid of, it's making sure it doesn't leak afterwards . What did you use to seal the scupper against the hull?

Some more questions:

Did you run the carbide hole saw in reverse? Did you drill from the inside out, or from the outside in (from under the boat)?

When fman removed the sprinkler valves, he grounded the scupper off to prevent the bags from filling while moving. I see that you did not ground off the scupper - are you having issues with the bags filling while moving or are the vent loops completely preventing this?

I may do this upgrade at some point but I will probably do what fman did (one intake for 3 fill pumps).

How long does it take to fill a sac with your new system vs the stock one
    (and what's the weight capacity of the sac)?

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV