Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Issues with 2004s?

I live in Seattle area and I'm looking for a used boat. Moombas catch my eyes because they are generally cheaper than other brands. I've noticed that greater than 95% of the used Moombas on craigslist are the 2004 model. Is there anything particularly wrong with 2004 model? The boats generally look to be in good shape, I just want to know if there's anything I should look for.

Thanks in advance.

Reese350 Guest

We had a 2004 Outback for a couple seasons. It was a great boat and never had an issue. We sold just to upgrade to a 2006 LSV. Ironically, we just moved back to a 2007 Outback because the kids want to start running the course. All of the Moombas we've owned have been great boats and the folks at Skier's Choice have been outstanding to work with anytime I've reached out to them. Go for it!

Just a thought: I think boat owners are in 2 or 3 basic catagories.
    1. Buy a new boat every year or two. These are the ones who ski/board often and have realized a trade new every year can be a less expensive way to own.
    2. Buy a boat and keep it until there is some wear on the boat, maybe some minor issues, and have paid a loan down enough to "justify a trade. This usually happens at the 4-5 yr mark.
    3. Buy a boat and keep it for a very long time.

Option 2 puts a lot of 04 and 05 model boats on the market. That is probably why you are seeing several for sale. The are no known specific issues with 04s.

My remark is a broad generalization, every individual situation is unique.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I agree with Max in option 2, in my family there is a 2004 currently for sale, nothing wrong with it. For some the idea of watersports wears off. Lots of hours the first year, less the next year, even less the following year and so on. No sense in keeping and having all that money tied up if your not going to use it. This theory would be shown in the amount of hours on the boat, usually low, ours has about 200.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

I have a 2004 LS with 750 hrs.....no problems here!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the input. Most of the boats have less than 200 hours on them. The one I'm looking at in particular has 350 hours on it, they want $25k. The reason I'm looking at it over the others is that it's a better color for me (most are red/blue and this one is black & white), it has more options (gravity III instead of gravity I, board racks, nice stereo, cover, tandem axle trailer, etc.), and it's priced ~3-4k less than the others. I suppose I'm not too worried about the hours as my old mastercraft has 860 hours on it and I've never had any trouble with engine/transmission, which are the two components I wouldn't be comfortable doing "real" work on. Does 350 sound like too many hours? Sounds like the boat is well taken care of and is in great shape, I'm going to take a look in person tomorrow.

Doesn't sound like too many to me if it's been maintained. Have your regular inboard guy take a look for you if you're worried.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Any purchase of a new vehicle should be preceded by an inspection by a mechanic. It used to be difficult to find a marine mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection, but it's commonplace now.

The hours matter much less than the maintenance and any possible incidents that might have incurred difficult-to-detect damage. Again, the mechanic of your choice is the best way to evaluate the risks. It's much better to trust a mechanic whom you've hired than any seller.

second on what Max and Hoop said--was what I was thinking
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by saberworks View Post
    Does 350 sound like too many hours? Sounds like the boat is well taken care of and is in great shape, I'm going to take a look in person tomorrow.
    You can "generally" equate 350 hours to about 35,000 miles on your car. Or in other words, it is just getting broken in. A well maintained engine should last until about 1500 hours without any problems. Most ski schools put over 600 hours a year on their boats.

Basically, it would be good to know how often the oil/filter, transmission, and impeller were changed. The only other easy test is a compression check. Good luck.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier