Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Barefoot Boom

Another successful day with the barefoot boom. Young fellow could not get up long line on the wake board. In two minutes the boom was in place. He gets right up. Then put the short line out there and he gets up. Ran out of time (no towing after sunset.) So will go long line next time out. For the driver, gets pretty tricky with a heavy guy on the end of the boom. The boat pulls hard to starboard. So you have to compensate by over steering to port side. Then back off as boat picks up speed and skier/boarder gets on plane.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deerfield; 08-04-2010 at 11:16 PM.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

This is a very old thread, but there's lots of good info in here, and thought I'd update with more info after my purchase this week.

I picked up a BI B202 (the Universal Deluxe Contour) on craigslist for our 2004 Mobius LS DD. It's designed for boats with up to 8" pylon setback from the windshield or tower. Our boat is 9", so it just barely fits. One of the cables has to be lengthened all the way out while the other has about 4" left, and even then the cables are about 2 inches too short. No problem though, as one person can just push forward on the boom while another clips the carabiner into the bow eye. If I were buying new, I'd get the B204. This one would accommodate pylon setback of greater than 8". I'm assuming the boom bend is longer and the cables are too. As it is, with the B202, I would not be able to install a boom extension as it would need longer cables. I don't plan to install an extension other than the handle extension (B111), so that's not a problem.

boom-view-from-front.jpg

The boom rests right against the end of the windshield, so there's no forward movement when the skier falls.

ethan-versa-on-boom.jpg

LOVE having it! So much time and fuel is saved when beginners can get right up immediately. The lift and stability the boom provides, and the confidence it instills, makes for some very happy kids. My older sister, who hasn't skied in years due to a neck injury, was even able to get out there for a bit to enjoy some slaloming.

Here's my daughter on her first attempt at deep water start with slalom. She was beaming!

emma-slalom-on-boom.jpg
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

To give my B202 a bit more length, I added a stainless quick link between the carabiner and cables. The bow pad slips over it so the hull is still protected. This gives the cables just enough reach to allow me to easily clip the carabiner to the bow eye with one hand without having to have someone push forward on the end of the boom.

158005-1_0.jpg
    Last edited by Darter; 09-20-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc