Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barefoot Boom

Default Barefoot Boom

Please help me out with the specific Barefoot International boom model you sold last year. I have an '07 Outback, am ready to buy a boom, and am looking at both the used and new markets. Found a used boom for sale on the Supra site, but it is designed to attach to a tapered tow pylon. As you know, the tow pylon on an Outback is not tapered. That is problem one. Also, I have a Rad-A-Cage tower. To clear the windshield and back tower legs requires a boom with an 8 inch setback. That is problem two. Advertisements for new booms claim "universal" fit. I want a direct application that truly does not require any modification so I don't end up with hassles, headaches, and disappointment. Do you recall the exact model you sold and did it fit your Outback without modification? Thanks. - Deerfield
    Last edited by deerfield; 03-13-2010 at 07:46 PM.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

We generally will alway place a thick foam cushion or old life jacket between the boom and the gunnel as well. plus a line tieing it off to a back clete minimizes forward spring on ejection
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I don't know anything about this or if it will work or not deerfield but ran accross it on wakeworld.............

http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Dis...w.cgi?8/768208

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    I don't know anything about this or if it will work or not deerfield but ran accross it on wakeworld.............

http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Dis...w.cgi?8/768208
    viking - I connected last week with this seller. His tow pylon is tapered and set back is less than on my Outback. He doubts it will fit my application. If it did, I would snap it up. New is around $500. His price is $200 plus about $50 for shipping. So, I'm still looking. I appreciate your bringing this one to my attention. Thanks! - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

flatH2O - Thanks for the information. I hear ya on being extra careful when using the boom. I really want one of these for my kids and all the other people we take on the boat during the summer. If I have to, I'll buy new and pay full price if that's what it takes to have the right setup with no modifications. A barefoot boom is one of those things that I can see keeping for the next ten years, at least. - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

I have a tapered B.I. boom that I switch between my 05' Malibu and my 07' and 08' Outbacks. It is not as tapered as FlatH2O's, but fits just as well. There is only 2 minor drawbacks.
    1) The chine spray is wider on the Outbacks than the Malibu so you may want to buy an boom extension if you are planning on teaching people to barefoot. The chine spray can mess up beginners to barefooting. Not a problem if you are teaching wakeboarding.
    2) The pylon can only be mounted toward the passenger side on the Outback because of seat to motorbox area. On the Malibu (and at the barefoot ski schools) are mounted it on the driver's side so it is easier to see the skier. Again this is minor.

Sled491 Guest

Deerfield, I have to agree with this tapered pole thing. The few MC's I ski with all have the boom brackets mounted on there pylons and it is right at Fr#$@&^ shin height so the taper at that point would be minimal. I'm sure for the right price some one with your skills could get it to work.

When you get set up I want to be one of the 1st to try to barefoot off it. I used to get up old school with a big rigid foam surf board

Quote Originally Posted by barefooterh2o View Post
    I have a tapered B.I. boom that I switch between my 05' Malibu and my 07' and 08' Outbacks. It is not as tapered as FlatH2O's, but fits just as well. There is only 2 minor drawbacks.
    1) The chine spray is wider on the Outbacks than the Malibu so you may want to buy an boom extension if you are planning on teaching people to barefoot. The chine spray can mess up beginners to barefooting. Not a problem if you are teaching wakeboarding.
    2) The pylon can only be mounted toward the passenger side on the Outback because of seat to motorbox area. On the Malibu (and at the barefoot ski schools) are mounted it on the driver's side so it is easier to see the skier. Again this is minor.
    barefooterh2o - VERY helpful information - both points. Will see about getting an extension and try finding a boom that will fit to mount on the driver's side. Thanks. - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Sled491 View Post
    Deerfield, I have to agree with this tapered pole thing. The few MC's I ski with all have the boom brackets mounted on there pylons and it is right at Fr#$@&^ shin height so the taper at that point would be minimal. I'm sure for the right price some one with your skills could get it to work.

When you get set up I want to be one of the 1st to try to barefoot off it. I used to get up old school with a big rigid foam surf board
    Sled - You are on! As per above, I'm gonna' find a boom that will mount on the driver side to avoid banging shins and get an extension to avoid chine spray. I'll drive and you can show my boys how to foot. Promise me that when you FACE PLANT you'll act like it does not hurt. - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

I think the only way you can mount the boom on the driver's side is having the seat all the way forward. The seat, on the Outback, goes behind the front of the motor box making it difficult to put a curved or straight boom on that side. The only other option is to buy one that mounts to tower, if you want it on the driver's side. Otherwise the passengers have to step over the boom.

Hope this helps.