Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Barefoot Boom

If you don't surf you can make one out of an old ski line. Uhh, shorten it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Sled491 Guest

Or find an old tube rope you ran over and convert it

Quote Originally Posted by Sled491 View Post
    Or find an old tube rope you ran over
    Has not happened and ain't gonna happen. Trust me.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Sled491 Guest

Lucky you, my wife has killed 2 already

Quote Originally Posted by Sled491 View Post
    Lucky you, my wife has killed 2 already
    Got goggles and a knife in your ready pack?
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Sled491 Guest

knife googles and a spare air

Our BI boom exits the passenger side (I placed it there to balance the boat, but it seems a bit odd pulling up to skiers on that side; I always pull up to skiers on the driver's side to maintain a view of them). Switching sides should be easy - just rotate the pylon clamp; I will probably try that in a week or two. The boom has been great for teaching kids to ski. No more relentless, failed efforts at pulling newbies on the long line. New skiers are up the 1st or 2nd try every time. We then graduate to a short line off the boom, and then to a long line off the tower. The boom has paid for itself in saved fuel already by avoiding those countless failed ski attempts.

The boom works great for barefooting, of course. My 13 year old stepped off a ski successfully after about 5 tries on the boom last week. His initial falls were not painful, because he just hung onto the boom and, in any event, we were not going as fast a needed when on the long line. I successfully practiced my deep water and tumble up starts on the short line attached to the boom, which helped me then succeed with them on the long line. Avoided many face plants already, which has also made the boom worth the price.

We have one regular extension, and we also have the handle extension, which extends off the end and is smaller diameter for kids. I guess adults can use that smaller handle, also, but the boom has a good bend in with that much weight so far from the boat.

The Footer's Edge ships a free DVD with orders, and shipping is free.
    2010 Outback

The boom took 15-30 minutes to install, and now takes about 2 minutes to attach when I want to use it. Those two minutes can be awkward, though, as the boom is heavy.
    2010 Outback

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    switching from a dd to a v drive my old boom won't work so i just recieved my new tower boom......I will do a comparison on ease of use and on mounting and changing positions after i get it up and going.
    Please let us know how the Tower Boom install goes. I've been considering a Tower Boom instead of the V-Drive boom. I'm hoping locating the boom forward will get us out of the chine spray.

Does anyone know what opinion Skiers Choice has concerning Tower Booms?
    2011 LSV
    Loaded, 340 HP

Crossing the wake of the outback is easy. I was unable to cross the wake of my I/O, but have barefooted behind and cross the wake of the outback with ease.

Incidentally, maybe us barefooters should have our own Moomba Boats forum... Thoughts?
    2010 Outback