Default Ticking noise when putting into idle gear

When i put my boat into gear but still at idle Rpm there is a ticking noise but when i give it gas it goes away. It doesnt do it at idle. Trying to figure it out without taking it down to active. Sounds like a cable hitting fiberglass but you can really hear it when your sitting in the water next to the boat.

Well obviously it only does it under load (when in gear at idle). There's no way to even guess at what that might be. If your determined to analyze this yourself then I would lift the hatches, open up the Vdrive compartment and have an assistant put it into gear while you listen and look into the spaces. I would be very careful doing this for safety reasons obviously. Also do not attempt this out of water as putting into gear while out of water is very bad for the shaft seals and can burn them up.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I have done it a few times but cant exactly pin point it. my buddy said the prop could have slop in it but wouldnt have a vibration? Thinking about just taking it to the dealer and have them look at it. Just thought i would see if anyone else has had this problem. My boat only has 119 hours on it.

Check for loose prop shaft coupling bolts.

is that the bolts that hook to the v drive unit? Sounds like it might be the bearing that holds the drive shaft under the boat. I will check those though

Quote Originally Posted by 04LSV View Post
    When i put my boat into gear but still at idle Rpm there is a ticking noise but when i give it gas it goes away. It doesnt do it at idle. Trying to figure it out without taking it down to active. Sounds like a cable hitting fiberglass but you can really hear it when your sitting in the water next to the boat.
    I would have them check the drive plate that bolts to the flywheel. The drive plate is spring loaded in the center and over time the springs can get loose and start making noise. If the plate fails it can come apart and cause serious damage.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

I second the springs in the drive plate. When they get worn they start to rattle and can no longer take up the vibration of the engine. If left long enough the vibration can cause the bearing in the front pump of the transmission to migrate, cover a pressure relief hole and blow the seal on your transmission. I had to rebuild the transmission on my old Nautique because of it. If I would have recognized the noise early enough I would have only had to replace the drive plate. Hopefully you caught it in time. If you can rebuild the transmission yourself it's not too expensive, but, if you have some else do it is big $$$$. The drive plate is in expensive.

Good Luck.

Rick

I dropped it off at active and my drive shaft was bent some odd amount and it ate the packing enough for it to start ticking. The previous owner didnt take very good care of it. Wishing i wouldnt have bought a repo boat. Other than maintence issues it looks brand new.