Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weight and shallow water.

Another Ballast question of sort.

I moved to Illinois from Texas about a year ago. I was shocked to find out that the local river/chain of lakes I live on has an average depth of 6ft!

I'm a little bummed that I'm not getting the full wake capabilities out of my boat. I've been running the stock 1200lbs and sometimes I'll throw a 500 on the floor. I notice when I add the 500 the wake flattens out alot. I started putting it on the back seat, as it becomes a little peakier then. I'm used to the smaller wake now and have no problems throwing 5's. I know some of you guys ride on shallow water.

So I'm wondering if there's another way to set up the weight throughout the boat for shallow water? I plan on adding another 500lbs this spring.

BTW, it's an 07' LSV.

holy cows. 6ft would friek me out. doubt if I'd own a boat if that's the only water I had to run in. I'd spend the whole time worried about tearing something off the bottom...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

kinda of agree. you are not going to get your full wake potential in 6 ft of water but as you stated that is just the average. find a deep pass and ride there.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Lake depth will definately affect your wake size/shape. However, my lake averages 7' and I have no problems with that at all when my boat and personal safety are concerned. The "local" slalom course that I ski on is in less than 5' of water, again no problem.

You should explore your lake with a depth finder and ensure that you ski/board in areas that you know the depth. 4' on your guage is the absolute minimum that I would do on a regular basis.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

You'll get used to it. I ride in water that shallow and sometimes even less but I know the river bottom. I like skiing on glass so other than a few locals we have it to ourselves and of course we tell others it is too shallow to boat. Sometimes Google Earth will give you a good perspective of water depth and with a depth finder and word of mouth you will find some nice spots.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Yea it definitely freaked me out but I did get used to it. Back in Texas my home lake was at least 30ft in the most shallow areas. Before I moved here, I'd start getting real nervous around 5ft. haha.

I've bottomed my boat out up here several times up here where we all had to push it out. The bed is so soft that it doesn't affect the hull or drive system. You do, however, have to change the impeller out more often.

It's worth every bit of it though, we get unbelievable water during the week and early morning weekend sets. And it also warms up real quick since it's so shallow.

There's a few spots where it's 20 ft or so but I have to boat for 45 minutes to get to those spots, not worth the hassle.

holy cows. 6ft would friek me out. doubt if I'd own a boat if that's the only water I had to run in. I'd spend the whole time worried about tearing something off the bottom...
    Wouldn't take it that far.

Hey, Bcoutsfly - Seems I may have missed you moving into the area and apologize for not saying hello. Were you at the '09 Fox River event hosted by Ultimate Wake Watersports? If you are looking for deep water, go north about an hour to Lauderdale Lakes. Along the north side the lake bed runs over one-hundred feet deep and should give you the wake you knew in Texas. While you are there, tie up at the launch ramp and walk up the hill to visit Lauderdale Lakes Marina, Supra/Moomba/Correct Craft dealer. Hope to see you out on the water this summer. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

You need at least 15 feet of water below the boat to have the wake fully develop.

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    Hey, Bcoutsfly - Seems I may have missed you moving into the area and apologize for not saying hello. Were you at the '09 Fox River event hosted by Ultimate Wake Watersports? If you are looking for deep water, go north about an hour to Lauderdale Lakes. Along the north side the lake bed runs over one-hundred feet deep and should give you the wake you knew in Texas. While you are there, tie up at the launch ramp and walk up the hill to visit Lauderdale Lakes Marina, Supra/Moomba/Correct Craft dealer. Hope to see you out on the water this summer. - Deerfield
    No I didin't make that event, I'm not a fan of Ultimate Wake/Chicago Sea Ray for undisclosed reasons.

Is Lauderdale part of the chain? Is that your home lake?

And I didn't know there was another Supra/Moomba dealer local. That's great news, I thought I was up the creek with Supra/Moomba dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake Master View Post
    You need at least 15 feet of water below the boat to have the wake fully develop.
    Yea I understand this theory. My question was regaurding whether or not I can shift the weight front/back/middle to get the best results out of shallow water.

Like Stars for instance have to be rolling heavy in the rear. I'm not sure of the exact ratio but I know it's ridiculous.