Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by brenpire View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to keep tightening the Nut to slow the dripping or do I need to replace the packing?
    You can continue to tighten the nut until you run out of adjustment. When all of the adjustment is gone, that is when you replace the packing. Just be sure that it drips at the rate as stated above after you adjust the packing nut.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Thanks for the advice. I will try that first.

Any Idea what size wrenches fit?
    2006 LSV

I use one of these. When you get a wrench that is big enough to fit over the nut, it is WAY to long to fit in the compartment. I use this all the time and it works like a champ!!

BrassCraft Adjustable Slip-Nut Wrench
    Model # T152
    Store SKU # 639344
    $17.67/EA-Each
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...d&ddkey=Search
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Perfect! Thanks JesseC. I was able to tighten the nut on the weekend and stop the drip. I will pick up a wrench like that for next time.
    2006 LSV

Where do you get the GOR Fiber and does Moomba sell repair manuals for their boats?

For those of you who are having some clearance issues heres some food for thought. Im a rotating equipment engineer and when we have to change the packing on pumps we use actual packing pullers. You can get short ones, long ones, large ones, small ones, and the hooks come in all different materials too and they are cheap. The big long shaft part is flexible, and they look like this.... the second picture shows the concept....

Just for future reference the area that you "stuff" the packing into is called the stuffing box. Using a screwdriver scares me a bit because you dont want to scratch the shaft. While it may not have an immediate impact, a burr over time will absolutey eat your packing.

Last edited by lewisb13; 07-22-2010 at 04:21 PM.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD