Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default just replaced my shaft packing

I just replaced the shaft packing in my '05 Mobius LSV. It was fairly easy. It took about 1.5 hours, and I'm kind of slow. I made a little tool out of a piece of coat hanger to use for removing the old fiber that worked really well. I've attached a picture of it and a closeup of the tip. The large bends are just a way to hold it. I bent the tip 90 degrees and then ground it down to a point to be able to grab the old fiber. I also attached a picture of the wrench I used. It's a plumbing wrench I got at Home Depot.

I was a little surprised when I removed a total of 5 pieces of fiber (none of which were broken). The instructions I used said to install 2, maybe 3 pieces.

I replaced it with 3 pieces of GOR fiber. When I hand tightened it at the end of the instructions, it went all the way up against the lock nut. Does that mean I need to add another piece of fiber? Maybe that's why there were 5 in there previously?

I haven't put it in the water yet to see if it is leaking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Wolf,

I'm in the process of replacing the packing in my '06 LS.

Question: What size diameter packing did you/we use? I understand there's different thicknesses?

Any help would be appreciated.

According to the instructions I linked to (and other posts I've seen on this site), it's 3/16" for V-drives and 1/4" for direct-drives. So, I used 3/16". Those instructions say to cut the packing to lengths of 4 1/8". It didn't say if the length is any different when using 3/16" instead 1/4". 4 1/8" seemed just right for me. I cut the first length to 4 1/4" just to check, but it was just a bit long.

I saw other people post that getting the old packing out was the hardest part. That's why I made the little tool from a coat hanger. So, my only advice would be to make something like that.

I ended up having to put in four pieces in my 02 LSV. The way I measured mine was to crawl under the boat and wrap the rope packing around the shaft and cut it to the correct size. Then I just got inside the boat and put in the pieces I had cut. I also cut about three extra pieces and put them in a zip loc baggie "just in case".
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I've got an 06 LSV that I recently purchased. I've never changed packing in a V drive until this one so I wasn't sure how. I read the same instructions as mentioned in the post above. I didn't totally understand the instructions.

It says something about sliding the shaft down into the strut. Did yall understand that? So I decided to do what made since to me.

I loostened the jam nut enough to take the big packing nut off and slide it up the shaft. Then I removed any old packing from inside the big packing nut.

I only see packing inside the big nut. There is no room for packing any where else that I can see.

Does anyone no if there is packing down under that rubber hose piece that is clamped around the drive shaft as it goes through the hull?

I installed two pieces of 3/16" packing inside the big nut and run it back down hand tight and snugged it up a bit with channel locks.

It leaks about 1 drop every 15 - 20 seconds. It seems to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LSM View Post
    I read the same instructions as mentioned in the post above. I didn't totally understand the instructions.

It says something about sliding the shaft down into the strut. Did yall understand that? So I decided to do what made since to me.
    I never noticed that line before!! It is probably a cut and paste error when Brian sent me the instructions. I bet this is a small section that he copied from a larger set of instructions on how to replace the drive shaft. You are correct, in this case it does not make sence and should be ignored.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Does anyone know if it is possible to keep tightening the Nut to slow the dripping or do I need to replace the packing?
    2006 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by brenpire View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to keep tightening the Nut to slow the dripping or do I need to replace the packing?
    You can continue to tighten the nut until you run out of adjustment. When all of the adjustment is gone, that is when you replace the packing. Just be sure that it drips at the rate as stated above after you adjust the packing nut.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Thanks for the advice. I will try that first.

Any Idea what size wrenches fit?
    2006 LSV

I use one of these. When you get a wrench that is big enough to fit over the nut, it is WAY to long to fit in the compartment. I use this all the time and it works like a champ!!

BrassCraft Adjustable Slip-Nut Wrench
    Model # T152
    Store SKU # 639344
    $17.67/EA-Each
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...d&ddkey=Search
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In