Default Ed and all runners

Ed,

So the wife and I have decided to do a 10K in 6 weeks. Neither one of us is completely out of shape, but we have been away from the gym a while until recently.

Know of any training regimens that would be good to go by for this upcoming race?

Not sure if you are familiar, but it is just trail called the Silver Comet Trail here in NE ga.

I will throw a little different perspective out from Ed, more just thoughts than what to do. i have never followed a training plan very well. i have usually looked at several and done my own thing. maybe i should follow one, i may make the improvements i really want in my running. however, i think my training has been successful, i have hit/exceeded my goals and PR's for the last several races.

i looked at some of the past results for the race, the name, trail, implied to me it was trail race (not on a paved path) which would change the training and timing substantially. the course looks like a really nice asphalt path, there are some fast finishers in the race.

so for your 6 week training, i would suggest:
    evaluate where you current ability is, how far and long (time) are you currently able to run, walking in the middle is acceptable.

if you are working out on a dreadmill in the gym, some people say that the work out is as much as 20% less than outside. i have very limited time on a treadmill so i can't say from personal experience, though i still run outside in snow, rain, or sub 0 weather rather than go to the dreadmill.

do you have a goal for the race, beat a time, just plain finish, run the whole way, beat your wife (in the good way)?

see where your current fitness level applies to the training schedule above from Ed, or another that you may find elsewhere.

knowing nothing about your current level, i would guess that the 10k will take you between 55 and 70 min to finish. in your training, you may not ever run a full 10k (6.2m) that is okay. you should run for at least the amount of time that you plan on running.

if you notice on Ed's plan, never are distances mentioned. i think you should be aware of how far you are going so that you be a bit prepared for the race distance.

on race day, you will get a huge adrenaline from the crowd and excitement. don't go out too fast

also, during your training, remember to consider your fueling. an hour isn't too long to worry about it, but make sure your are adequately watered and fueled. i almost always run with water.

excited to hear what you choose to rain and how the race goes!

People's levels are so different. I agree with what everyone has said. I personally like the advice of:
    Day One -- "active rest" (walk only)
    Day Two -- short run
    Day Three -- average run
    Day Four -- short run
    Day Five -- average run
    Day Six -- short run
    Day Seven -- long run

It's general and you insert what level is comfortable for you. I do a half to a mile walk before stretching and my workout and also walk that distance for my cool down and light stretching. If you don't stretch, you'll know it and might hurt something.

Treadmill vs outside: for me, outside is harder with weather, wind, and not knowing what your exact speed is. Outside hurts my body more (knees/shins) so I need to take days off more frequently. Some of my races I trained on the treadmil but when racing, I went out way too fast and ended up dying. My best plan is to mix it up, but more outside running the closer it is til race time. On a treadmill I try to add one lap (.25mi) each day even if it's a slower pace than the rest of my working, but still a bit faster than walking. Going harder on a treadmill is needed to match outside's elements, that 20% difference is about right.

On a hard workout day, remember how you eat beforehand and make sure it works for you. I used to always run on an empty stomach and sometimes dry heave after the race. I now do some fruit and dry toast an hour before and it helps maintain my energy level. Something else to think about.

That's great your doing it. Push it
    Last edited by sailing217; 02-04-2010 at 01:15 PM.