Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loose bolts

Default loose bolts

not sure if this is an issue that has been discussed in the past or not but i was under my boat the today doing some cleaning and noticed that on the trailer... the long runners with the carpet they have brackets to the frame that hold them and 3 of my bolts worked loose none were missing but just about out.
    might be something ya all might wanna take a look at.

That's been an issue with every trailer i've had and will continue to as long as wood is used. The constant exansion & contraction from putting the boat in and out then towing allows them to work loose. The last trailer i pulled each one, coated it with silicone and re-installed.

Personally i think a synthetic material would be better and not allow the loosening, but it's more expensive than wood so ...
    2007 Mobius LSV

yeah, i think a little blue loctite is in order. i'm going to put it on my tower feet bolts, and the aluminum support bracket under the rear seat.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

I don't think Loctite will work on wood. When you change the bunk carpet drill the holes through and replace all the bolts with stainless carriage bolts.
    Countersink the heads below the top of the bunk. recover with carpet the bolts will line up and add a lock washer.

Quote Originally Posted by Suprahunter View Post
    I don't think Loctite will work on wood. When you change the bunk carpet drill the holes through and replace all the bolts with stainless carriage bolts.
    Countersink the heads below the top of the bunk. recover with carpet the bolts will line up and add a lock washer.
    Good idea when replacing carpet but don'r dorget to re-treat the wood 2-3 times before replacing carpet or rot will start where you countersink.

The silicone trick works when not replacing carpet as it not only captures the bolt but also seals the hole. Just fill the hole and replace the lag bolt.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I don't think Loctite will work on wood.
    yeah, i didn't mean on the bunks, but for everything else...
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

anyone heard of replacing the wood with 5/4 trex(or one of the many knockoffs)? perhaps screwing 2 pieces together and using as wood??

it's watertite, doesn't really expand and contract like wood will and potentially could last much longer?

first downside I see is that it's not as structurally sound as wood and might need 2 pieces "laminated" to be strong?

op-I had the same issue with screws and now check them 2x yearly for loose ones..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

generally how long will the carpet last if stored inside?

ok well i guess you guys are on the ball for this issue but something newbies like me need to keep an eye on

Storing inside isn't the issue, it's the constant drenching, drying out along with the boat coming on and off the bunks. My last one the carpet lasted over eight years. If you have the means to pressure wash the bunks off when the boats in the water then they'll last along time. Grit get's in the carpet and not only wears it but scratches the gelcoat too. For you guys with sandy bottom lakes it can get real bad.
    2007 Mobius LSV

good to know thanks razz! i'm sure the wood on gel coat isn't too pretty looking!