Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle Head View Post
    Nice work man!

So, did you only install 1 additional intake strainer or 2? I am really liking your setup and am thinking I may go the same route. One question I have is why not mount the simer pump in the front locker where the current evac pump is located? Or, is it too far from the intake to prime?
    Thanks, it is a solid system. I used it all summer flawlessly, although I have found a few tweaks that I plan on making. Let me know if you go this route and I'll throw a few more ideas your way.

No, I did not add any additional intakes. All three pumps utilize the stock intake with custom manifold. I am planning on adding an addition intake or two.

A simer pump could be mounted in the ski locker, the pump would have no problem drawing water. The ski locker is a tight place in our boats and the simer pump is at least two times the size of the stock rule empty pump. However, I never really tried fitting it in there. Could be done.

Good luck, and glad you like the setup.

So how long does it take to fill the bags compared to before?
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by deafgoose View Post
    So how long does it take to fill the bags compared to before?
    I think he said 8 or 9 minutes and that's with the stock intake valve and 3 pumps! (if I am reading this right). Got your PM Chad, sorry you haven't been feeling well.

I guess the other option for the third and fourth pump (my plan is to do a seperate pump for the integrated bow sac) would be to mount them beside the rear pumps under the seats and then run the hoses forward under the floor to the Center and IBS.

T100 posted a thread showing a guy who used the Johnson pumps in his Centurion and he had fabricated a Tee fitting into his rear lines so that he could fill bags that would be situated in the seating area and still be able to drain them off of the same pump: http://www.centurionavalancheballast...l.blogspot.com

So, my current plan of attack is to:

• Remove the stock intake and upgrade it to 1-1/2"
    • Add an additional 1-1/2" intake
    • Run 2 pumps per intake via a Tee fitting
    • T-Fitting off of the fill/drain hose on the rear bags with PVC Ball Valves on each line.

Haven't decided if I will use Simer or Johnson pumps. The Johnson pumps are pricey but at least they are ignition protected and allows me the option of putting them down in bilge area. Heck, you could probably go 2 Simer and 2 Johnson if you needed to save some cash.
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

I think he said 8 or 9 minutes and that's with the stock intake valve and 3 pumps! (if I am reading this right). Got your PM Chad, sorry you haven't been feeling well.
    Yup, you got it, about 8 to 9 minutes. Also, thanks for your concern, I am feeling much better now.

So, my current plan of attack is to:

• Remove the stock intake and upgrade it to 1-1/2"
    • Add an additional 1-1/2" intake
    • Run 2 pumps per intake via a Tee fitting
    • T-Fitting off of the fill/drain hose on the rear bags with PVC Ball Valves on each line.

Haven't decided if I will use Simer or Johnson pumps. The Johnson pumps are pricey but at least they are ignition protected and allows me the option of putting them down in bilge area. Heck, you could probably go 2 Simer and 2 Johnson if you needed to save some cash.
    Why 1.5" intake? I think a 1" mushroom intake for two pumps will supply plenty of water, plus then you don't have to put those monster holes in the hull? I may be wrong, let me know.

Funny you mention the Johnson pumps, I plan on getting two and putting them in the bilge/engine area (not sure on placement yet). 2 pumps per intake is my plan as well, but why the PVC ball valve on the rear bags?

This ballast stuff is fun, isn't it!

Why 1.5" intake? I think a 1" mushroom intake for two pumps will supply plenty of water, plus then you don't have to put those monster holes in the hull? I may be wrong, let me know.
    No, you are right in that 1" should be more than enough for 2 pumps. I was at West Marine last night and my jaw almost hit the floor when I saw the size of the 1-1/4" intake. They didn't even have a 1-1/2" in stock.

Why the PVC ball valve on the rear bags?
    This will allow me to fill an additional Fat Sac in the seating area of the boat from the ballast system. Even with the 750 in the rear locker and the bow and center locker full, the wave isn't as good as it is with 3 or 4 additional people in the boat. So, I would like the have the option of filling and draining an additional 750lb bag that will go in the seating area for days when it's just the wife, kids (2 boys aged 3 and 6) and myself. Yes, I know, we have become wave snobs but how nice would it be to just lift up the seat cushion, pull out the hose and connect to the bag?

This ballast stuff is fun, isn't it!
    Heck ya! I am stoked to get started on this project. I am still holding out that the weather will be nice again and I can squeeze out a couple of more weeks of riding before I start ripping out the original intake and drilling new holes into the boat.

I'll definintely do my best to document my install and post it. So, do you think you'll order in a couple of Johnson Pumps then? And, do you think you could fit 2 Simer pumps side by side under the seats where you have them now?

2007 Outback V

So, do you think you'll order in a couple of Johnson Pumps then? And, do you think you could fit 2 Simer pumps side by side under the seats where you have them now?
    Yeah, sometime this winter I'll try to grab two Johnson Pumps on sale. Two Simer pumps can fit side by side no problem, all depends on how you want to run the ballast hose, but the space is there.

Hey, where did you get your check / one way valves?

2007 Outback V

Stupid question, but what does it mean for the pump to be ignition protected?
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    Stupid question, but what does it mean for the pump to be ignition protected?
    It means that a spark from the device will not ignite a fuel/air mixture in the same space. Something you want to avoid if you are putting electrical devices in your bilge area.

2007 Outback V

Hey, where did you get your check / one way valves?
    Fleet Farm, $10 a piece I think. Check out the plumbing sections in a local store, you should be able to find something similar. I'm sure Home Depot or any other type of home improvement store should have some.