Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GI to GIII Simer pump upgrade

I have been slowly working on upgrading my GI system to GIII. Not done yet, but I can see the light. It has been quite the project, I've learned a lot!!! I would like to take a few seconds and personally thank the moomba boards, that means all of you!!! I would not have made it this far into the upgrade without reading what others have done and asking tons, and I mean tons of questions. THANK YOU!!!!

When I decided to take on this project, my main trouble was trying to figure out which ballast pumps I wanted to use........stay stock with sprinkler valves, go with Tsunami pumps, or go with impeller pumps like the Jabsco ballast puppy. To make a long story short I decided to go with impeller pumps for two main reasons:
    1) I wanted to have fairly quick fill times (we all know how restrictive the sprinkler valves can be)
    2) I wanted to make the install simple as possible

At first I wanted to go with Jabsco pumps but I choose Simer 12V water pumps ~$53 ea. at Fleet Farm. I couldn't beat that price, and I couldn't afford the Jabsco pumps (considering it was also very important that I get tower speakers on the boat before spring). Yes I know, SIMER PUMPS ARE NOT IGNITION PROTECTED!!!! That is why I mounted them in the rear lockers. Well, I'm sure you all are eager to see some pics, so here the project is thus far.

Port side rear locker with ski locker pump mounted on back of seat and rear locker pump mounted under seat.

Starboard side pump, fills starboard rear locker bag.

Rear locker bag size 12X20X46 (They have 1 in. fill/empty port and 3/4 in. overflow port.

Intake manifold looking toward starboard side. 1 in. ballast hose is for center ski locker fill/empty.

Intake manifold looking toward stern. This tee supplies the fill/empty for the rear locker bags.

Intake manifold looking toward port side.

One-way valves on over flow ports supply a vacuum while pumps empty bags.

Setup details:
    Used stock intake - custom 1 in. HP PVC manifold to 1 in. fill/drain line.
    -not optimal! I would like intake for each pump or at least a 1.25 in. intake.

3/4 in. overflow lines with one-way valves to create vacuum when pumps are empting bags. I'm hoping the pumps will suck the bags flat.

See, simple system!

Things left to complete and some questions of course:

1) Drill port and starboard overfill/discharge holes in boat. I'm still building up the guts to drill through my gel coat......I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.....

2) Fill/Empty ballast switches seem to be linked to re-settable fuse breaker?? I need them to be 20 amp breakers to run these pumps. Can I get these breakers from SC or online somewhere? Or should I bypass the breaker and just keep a 20 amp fuse in the wire. FYI these pumps come with an in-line fuse of 30 amps. However, the ballast switches are 20 amp max. I know the pumps with run fine fused at 20 amps, I just don't know which way to go??

3) Where in the heck do I put my Stereo and ACC switch that I removed to make room for the ballast switches??? Any ideas/recommendations????

4) Test the system and keep my fingers crossed.

5) Finishing touches......like tucking away the wires a little better.

I like the overflow one way valve, let us know if it does suck the bag dry...in theory this should work....nice idea
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Buy a 4 way ignition key switch like in a lot of older cars, and hook your stereo remote lead into that. Turn your key left to accessory to listen to the stereo when the boat is off and when you start the boat the strereo will come back on.
    As far as the other acc switch, it depends on what you have it running to. if its blank then I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise relocate it out of the way under the dash so you still have access to it.

PWI as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    Buy a 4 way ignition key switch like in a lot of older cars, and hook your stereo remote lead into that. Turn your key left to accessory to listen to the stereo when the boat is off and when you start the boat the strereo will come back on.
    As far as the other acc switch, it depends on what you have it running to. if its blank then I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise relocate it out of the way under the dash so you still have access to it.
    Great idea newty, thanks!! Right now I do not have anything hooked up to the ACC switch, but I was thinking of using it as the remote switch to power on/off the tower speakers.

Default Update

I have been testing and using the system a lot recently. I changed a few things:

1) Picked up a GIII ballast plate to save room on the dash. Now I have extra ballast switches on the dash for my two bow bag upgrade plans and the stereo switch can stay at its initial home.

2) I didn't like the pump on the backside of the Port seat. It looked odd and my 750 lb surf bag would push on it when full. I pulled it out and went back to the rule pump filling the center ski locker bag.

It takes about 8-9 min to fill all the ballast, not too bad!!!

The rear bags get sucked completely flat, it's amazing, works great. The simer pumps sound different when the bags are empty so I know when to turn them off. Wish they shut off automatically, hmmmm, future upgrade.

Since I went back to the rule pumps for the ski locker bag, its terrible, air always in the bag and it doesn't empty all the way. I plan on buying either a jabsco or a johnson pump to install in the engine compartment for the center bag, but we'll see.

More to come this fall/winter

Snap a pic of the bag sucked totally flat. Stock system should've been designed to work like this.

great work on the ballast. i still have boxes of stuff to put in the boat but we have sepnt more time on the lake these days
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

awesome install! checked it out at the moomba meet this past weekend, top notch.

Nice work man!

So, did you only install 1 additional intake strainer or 2? I am really liking your setup and am thinking I may go the same route. One question I have is why not mount the simer pump in the front locker where the current evac pump is located? Or, is it too far from the intake to prime?
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V