Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transfer of Warranty on 08 Outback

I recently bought an 08 Moomba outback and I want to transfer the warranty in to my name. The boat is in great shape with only 88.6 hrs on it. I read something in the manual that said I need to pay a fee. Does anyone know more info about this? I've called my local dealer (where the boat was actually intially purchased) a fewl times but they haven't gotten back to me yet(Lauderdale Lakes Marina in Elkhorn Wi). In their defense I can understand they may be busy after the boat show.. But the manual says I only have 10 days!!

I'm curious as to the procedure because the boat is winterized right now and the lakes around here are obviously frozen but It's my understanding that the boat/engine/tranny need to be inspected. I'm not going to pay 200 + bucks for the transfer and then additional fees to winterize an already professionaly winterized boat. I have photo copies of all the maintanence records from the dealer including last falls winterization, do you think that will be sufficient?

And why the heck do you have to pay for a warranty transfer? I would think it would just be a nominal paper work fee or only a dealer fee.

Suggestions/ideas?

Thanks,
    Last edited by phospher; 01-29-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

call sc Telephone
    1-800-320-2779
    865-983-9924

did you buy it private or from a sc dealer?
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 01-29-2010 at 06:23 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Awesome. Thanks.

I bought it from a private seller. I know, if it was bought from a dealer they should be responsible for warranty transfer.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

http://moomba.com/downloads/owner_manuals/moomba_08.pdf

As I read the Owner's Manual for my 08 Outback and the link above, I don't see a fee or that you can transfer the warranty.
    You should find out if the person purchased the 3 yr whole boat warranty or just kept the factory 1 yr. Also, the 4 yr engine warranty is from Indmar, not SC.

From my past experience, I bought a 1yr old MC from a private seller. It did cost $200 to transfer the warranty. However, based on the fact that the boat had never had a problem (you'll have to trust the seller and any records they have), I did not see a reason to transfer a hull warranty. If there have been no problems in the hull to this point, why would there be in the future. It is your money and peace of mind, but I doubt that I would bother spending the money: oh yeah, I didn't. I never had a problem with that boat.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I must have read it in the indmar manual(i'll go dig it up again). What I'm trying get is the indmar 4 year engine/drive train warranty transffered and the L4 hull warranty. I know the engine/train are covered for four years per what I read.

I'm not really too concerned that something will break but I think it's worth it to have the warranty considering it should be good until 2012 and L4 on the hull . While I'm sure they are far and few betweeen some engines/hulls surely suffer from defects from time to time and if this happens to mine I want to be sure I'm covered.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

No, I agree with you, the engine warranty is worth the money. Especially with EFI, any problems (which I doubt you will have) can get expensive fast on the engine. The hull is unlikely to every have a problem if it has not had one yet.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Sled491 Guest

I bought my boat from Lauderdale lakes, great guys they'll look after you. Yes they have been very busy with the boat shows as they did the Chicago and Milwaukee show and have a couple locations. They'll make it happen or take Docs advice and call SC customer service direct.

left a vm for someone at Skiers Choice Friday evening. Still waiting... going to give them a call again right now.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Just got in touch with someone at skiers choice. Turns out that the hull warranty (L4) is not transferable so that really sucks. For some reason I was thinking that it would be... In any case, I need to get the engine inspected by an approved indmar shop so I'm back to waiting for Lauderdale Lakes...

I also reached out to the previous dealership where this boat has been serviced (Midwest Mastercraft) in hopes that they can sign off on the warranty transfer considering that the engine has not been touched since they last winterized it and I have all maintainence records. We'll see..
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Sled491 Guest

Funny, I have the 3 yr warrenty and I could have sworn on my 07 that it was transferable. No worries though I'll have this boat long after my warrenty expires