Thread: Fuel Filter

Default Fuel Filter

Can anyone give me any hints on changing the fuel filter - spin on type. Do i need to worry about pressure in the line and gas spilling everywhere when I take the old one off. Thanks

Default Replying to Topic 'Fuel Filter'

I can only give you advice for the 310 carb. I don't know how much different the fuel system is for the injected models. I just replaced the fuel pump on mine last week. Sort of a freak occurence, it died over the winter. Anyway, while I was trouble shooting the problem, trying to get the boat started, I pulled the fuel line off the inlet side of the pump on the side of the motor. It was practically dry and only a little fuel would run out of it if I held the line down and out of the drain hole. I found out there is a check valve in the fuel tank that keeps fuel from flowing unless it is under pressure, so you shouldn't get that much flowing out changing the filter. Make sure however you have a jar or can to catch whatever is in the line so it doesn't run into the bilge where it can sit and let off vapors which could cause an explosion hazard.

I'm assuming the injected engines would be similar if the pump is also mounted to the engine. If they have a tank mounted pump, then I don't know what the result would be.