PDA

View Full Version : Depth finder needed

moombadaze
01-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Taking the family on a week long vacation and staying on a new lake this summer. My boat does not have one and Ive been wanting one so its time to get one.

Can I just install one from one of the online boat stores that fits in a 2" dash hole and use a inhull transducer?

Prefered brands?

Thanks

Ive installed many on fishing boats just never one for a inboard

Razzman
01-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Daze, yes you can just add any brand with a thru-hull transducer. Two brands that come to mind would be either Humminbird or Norcross. I installed a Norcross on my Tigé and it worked flawless and was very reasonably priced.

kaneboats
01-28-2010, 01:32 PM
I have had two of the Humminbird ones on older boats and was very impressed.

zabooda
01-28-2010, 01:45 PM
The important thing is to mount the guage where you can read it while driving. When I bought my boat, I had to switch the depth guage that was by the throttle with the voltmeter.

MOOMBA_97
01-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Mine is a Hummingbird. Has always worked great. It was in the boat when I bought it. It has a thru the hull transducer mounted around the transmission area.

Monty

Razzman
01-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Wow the new Norcross Hawkeye D10DX (http://www.hawkeyeelectronics.com/products/D10DX/overview.htm) not only reads the depth via a thru-hull transducer but the air/water temps now as well all for $110! While some might not be impressed, the only one that did that before was the Faria for $175 and it's a exterior transom mount transducer only.

The nice thing about the Norcross Hawkeye is the bezels and faceplates are interchangeable to match your boats gauges, a chrome bezel is optional of $14. It also comes with a sun cover to protect the lcd display.

I might have to change mine out to get the water temp goody! :p

you da man
01-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Great find Razz, I'm gonna order one next week. Jeeez, got alot of work to do to my boat. Need to install the Z-5, completely remove stock stereo system and replace with super pimp system, Perfect Pass install, Gravity Games 3 install with 750 sacs, and now this. Going to be busy the next 2 months.

Razzman
01-28-2010, 05:14 PM
No prob man, i can spend anyone's money! :p

brain_rinse
01-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Hey Razz, water temp shows on my Perfect Pass display. Not sure what is different, but thought I'd mention it before you start replacing stuff!

Razzman
01-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Yeah i know, i don't have PP though and don't plan on it anytime soon. Been doing this a long time and can hold a steady speed just fine so i don't see the need in spending needlessly. :)

moombadaze
01-28-2010, 06:23 PM
thanks, think im going to install the humminbird. dont really want to know the temp cause then i will be even colder:rolleyes:

maxpower220
01-28-2010, 07:16 PM
The install is fairly straight forward. If you don't have an "extra" 2" hole, it is fairly easy to drill one out. It took some akward bending on my part to route the wires to the transducer. I used silicone to do a test fit to make sure that the transducer and wiring worked before using epoxy. The silicone holds well and is easy to remove. When using the epoxy, make sure that it has no airpockets between the transducer and the hull. Wiring is just a few wires and I had an extra power off of a factory rocker switch.

Razzman
01-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Daze, A few pointers for the install; :)

Make sure the transducers placement position is not in line with anything forward of it's position under the hull that will cause turbulence. Turbulence in the water path in front of it's location may cause false readings. These could be scuppers, chines, etc.

When you go to set the transducer into the epoxy make sure of the following;
Scuff up the install area, glossy bilge coatings may allow it to pop off. It happens a lot.

Apply the epoxy to an area bigger than the transducer so it's firmly attached.

Set the transducer firmly into the epoxy pointing at the 10:00 position and twist it firmly to the 12:00 position. This sets the transducer into the epoxy bed and eliminates air pockets.

I'm sure you know this but remember when setting the keel offset on the gauge settings to take into account the lowest part of the boat, the prop and rudder! Believe it or not I know of two instances where that wasn't done and it resulted in bent props!

moombadaze
01-28-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm sure you know this but remember when setting the keel offset on the gauge settings to take into account the lowest part of the boat,

Say what? The ones i installed i dont remember doing anything like this. I think this will make sense when actually installing but not sure.

Thanks Razz.

cab13367
01-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Wow the new Norcross Hawkeye D10DX (http://www.hawkeyeelectronics.com/products/D10DX/overview.htm) not only reads the depth via a thru-hull transducer but the air/water temps now as well all for $110!

How the heck does it read the water temp thru the hull?? Or is there a separate sensor for that?

Razzman
01-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Honestly don't know, just learned about it today.

Razzman
01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Per the Norcross site and the manual for the unit;

"The following parts should be included with the transducer:
• Thru-Hull Transducer with Integrated Temperature Sensor, 30 ft Cable and
Connectors
• Rubber Gasket
• Plastic Nut
• Integrated Temperature Sensor"

So it's a thru-hull, makes sense. Get this and no epoxy!

maxpower220
01-28-2010, 09:44 PM
The depth gauge that I got had another line with a temp sensor. I drilled into and epoxied the water intake line at the perko flush. Temp is accurate enough while the engine is running.

mustangairchair
01-29-2010, 12:32 AM
you can get the faria with through hull to and i had in my other lsv it is a great unit

mmandley
01-29-2010, 10:42 AM
How the heck does it read the water temp thru the hull?? Or is there a separate sensor for that?

The normal Moomba has a Temp sensor built into it also. This is how the PP works with it. Its already wired right to the Depth gauge as well. The temp wire will be in the loom not attached if you have only a depth gauge.

I was planning on buying the Faria but ill get this one now. Thats another 75 in upgrades.