PDA

View Full Version : what does this mean?

bama3300
05-24-2004, 09:44 PM
sorry if this is stupid, guessing its about rope length and speed, just not sure how it applies. 15 off at 25? something like that. please explain

waterboy
05-25-2004, 03:27 AM
The slalom rope is made up of sections, and removed one by one. The full rope is 75', so when a section is removed the rope length is refered to as "15 off" or whatever length has been removed so far. The other number is boat speed....mph.

Brian

bama3300
05-25-2004, 02:52 PM
thanks man, i was almost positive it meant how many feet off, so i guess that means that everyone goes by the 75' rope? is that the norm? preciate the help though. matt

TheBeeZ
05-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Most people learn to ski a 75 feet. You cross each wake one at a time a little eaiser for the beginner. As you get better you began to shorten the rope. 15 off is the first section on a slalom rope.

BensonWdby
05-25-2004, 10:30 PM
The deal with the wake at 75' feet is true. However, years ago I adopted the practice of removing the 15 foot section from my rope the day I bought it and never putting it back on. This is true on every rope I have ever owned. Granted I have been skiing a long time, but my kids have never skiied on anything else. I think the ride is so much better and less slack. Shorter people do not have to worry about the rope dragging in the water, especially when they cross the wake.

In fact when I teach really new skiers, mostly kids, I might go with 22 or 28 off. The reason being here is that they are not going to cross the wake right away anyhow and when they are closer to the boat they can actually hear you if you shout at them.

My 2cts.
Dave